We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris with Luggage

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Paris with Luggage

We have rented an apartment in Paris for a week, we will arrive about 11am and can not get into apartment till 4pm. Any ideas on what to do with our luggage or what to do. We thought about finding a cafe and having a really long lunch but not sure about how welcome we will be walking in with all our luggage. Any ideas out there? We are staying on st louis island. Thanks so much.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,682 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris with Luggage

if you are arriving at 11 it will be 1 until you are in town so a long lunch is just the ticket -- if you think you are arriving in Paris at 11 i.e. your flight gets in at 9 or so, then you can check your luggage into left luggage lockers at Gare du Nord. what we have done in similar circumstances is find a nice outside table and put our luggage against the wall behind us and have lunch. If you have 5 full hours before check in thought, then stowing the luggage is an idea.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris with Luggage

There are luggage lockers at other main stations too. Where are you arriving at "about 11am" and where is your apartment?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris with Luggage

Have you contacted the owner/agency? A couple of times when I had the same issue, the owner gave me the name of the owner of the nearest café and told me just to ask her to hold the bags for a couple of hours. Worked like a charm (I did first buy a double noisette).

But yes, there are lockers at the main train stations.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris with Luggage

Have you contacted your owner or agency asking if you can leave your luggage at the apartment prior to 4PM? If the apartment was vacated the day before your arrival and has been cleaned, you may be able to check-in early. If not, the cleaners may be there and you can leave your luggage with them. Check-out time is probably in the morning, so the previous tenants should be long gone by the time you get there.

A good owner/agency is usually more than happy to accommodate you.

If not, there are nice places for a long lunch on St. Louis

Edited: 09 August 2013, 13:01
Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris with Luggage

I usually just pay for an extra days' rental (if the price is right) so that I can check-in to an apartment when I arrive - which is always earlier than check-in. As there's no guarantee that it will be vacated, it just gives me one less thing to worry about. However, most of the train stations have luggage lockers and as mentioned above, the owner may be willing to help you out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris with Luggage

Exactly what Canthespam said. I've never not been able to drop off my luggage at a rental before the check-in time.

Pryor, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris with Luggage

Thanks everyone, I think I am over thinking this we can just find a great cafe and relax. There is someone in the apartment the night before we check in so I know it will be close to four before we can check in. Thanks for all your advise!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,180 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris with Luggage

adinaw. yes someone will have been in the apartment the night before, but it will be vacated much before noon likely , it will just be waiting for the cleaning service to come.. so you can usually still leave stuff there , but yes, cleaning crew will have access to it, as long as all valuables are in a shoulder bag carry on you can dump bigger bags and go out for lunch!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris with Luggage

Just know that there is not a lot of room inside cafes or restaurants. You will have much better luck sitting on a terrace - there are 4 of them at the Notre Dame end of rue St-Louis -en-l'ile (the main street of the island).

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris with Luggage

Agree with the advice to check with the owner. Just because someone is checking out the day you're checking in does not mean that you won't be able to drop your bags far earlier than 4PM. Most owners (also guests) understand that bags need to be dropped and will accommodate you. There's no point in dragging them around or storing them if you can drop them off while housekeeping is there.