We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

Hi Friends!!

I will be flying into Paris on Sept 29 and out of Barcelona on Oct 8th (I hate entering and leaving out of the same city). Originally I was supposed to go to Madrid but I opted for Paris (i hope i made the right decision).

We are a couple Me 30 and he 44 .

We have a budget of $300.00 a night or 250 euros . We like bars, lots of restaurants, nightlife, scenery. I keep reading that we would most like to stay in the 6th or 7th arr. (correct me if im wrong) But on trip advisor hotel search, they don't have those parameters. Could someone tell me what area is that?

Thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

I totally disagree with those locations, but I am in the minority here. Without checking the TA parameters, I would say that those areas are "Saint Germain-des-Prés" (6th arrondissement) and "Eiffel Tower" (7th arrondissement).

I will now shut up and allow you to do what you keep reading.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

The TA search for the 6th is actually 2 options on the menu. Check "st Germain" and also "Luxembourg". That will give you the entire 6th.

I've been to other parts but this is my favorite.

The 7th is nice but generally quieter and I don't think is what you are looking for. You would check "Eiffel tower/Invalides" for the 7th

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

keraocau2- NO!!! don't shut up... please tell me your thoughts. Just based on what I have read everyone keeps pointing to the 6th and 7th arr.

Please if there are other districts that I should consider, please do not hesitate

Thanks again

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

The 6th is expensive and full of tourists (not a bad thing, of course, but so you know...lots of people enjoy staying there and in the 5th, also a tourist-heavy area). The 7th is fine, but probably not the best choice for a couple seeking bars and nightlife (there is some....but many other areas of the city have more and better).

I think you would like the Bastille area or Oberkampf or the Marais. But google for information about what are the characteristics of each arrondissement and narrow it down yourself. Also get a detailed map of Paris so you know how the arrondissements are laid out in relation to each other.

Edited: 10 August 2013, 18:57
5. Re: 6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 00:35
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,756 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

Be very wary of generalizations. This, for example, is in the 6th ---> france-voyage.com/restaurants-guide/restaura…

Pjk

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

Keep in mind that Saint Germain des Prés is a part of Paris with a population of 4000. The city itself has a population of 2,250,000. (St. Germain is the smallest quadrant of the 6th arrondissement -- every arrondissement is divided into 4 quadrants, so not all of the 6th arrondissement is "unworthy.") The area bordering Montparnasse is quite nice.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

Kerouac2 is a valued contributor to this forum but his perspective is that of someone who has lived in Paris for maybe thirty years. His photo essays on another forum are outstanding. As a first time tourist with maybe 3-4 days to a week, I would look at the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and not so much the 7th even though I really like the 7th.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
853 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

Foe those that believe that the 6th is the centre of Paris and a necessity in particular for first time visitors the following are the commute times to the Louvre on the metro. All were taken for a journey on a weekday at approx 10am. parisbytrain.com/paris-metro-train-route-pla…

Jardins des Luxembourg 17min (6th)

St.Germain des Pres 16min (6th)

Belleville 18min (20th)

Abbesses 24min (18th)

The extra 16 minute return journey could ruin your holiday, you have been warned.

Edited: 10 August 2013, 22:03
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6th and 7th arr.. what and where is that?

And of course how many times does a person go to the Louvre? There is also the prospect of going to the Orsay, the Arc de Triomphe, Sacré Cœur, Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower or whatever...