We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early departure fee?

Birmingham
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Early departure fee?

Just a quick one, if I've prepaid for my hotel reservation, can i just leave a night early? Why do i need to pay a fee for a room I've already paid for is my opinion.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Early departure fee?

Do you mean non refundable cost of the cancelled night, or an additional fee?

In the first case, depends what kind of room tarriff you had. Early bird, low fare bookings often come with "non refundable, non changeable" strings attached. If you have a changeable / refundable booking, there is often a notice period to warn the hotel (can be something like "free cancellation if more than a week in advance, 50% of the cost up to 24 hours in advance, full cost less than 24 hours ahead").

In the second case, that's poor marketing practice (if they don't reimburse the night at all).

Edited: 11 August 2013, 22:33
Birmingham
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early departure fee?

The hotel is non-refundable, non-changeable. I'm talking about just checking out of the hotel the night before we are due to leave, or just leaving and not checking out at all? We are stopping in Serris and I wanted to spend the last night in a hotel in central Paris.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early departure fee?

Has the hotel said that there will be a fee for leaving early or are you asking as a general matter?

Edited: 11 August 2013, 22:42
Birmingham
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early departure fee?

I noticed it when i had the idea of leaving i thought I'd check, and according to the expedia website(where i booked) that the hotel has and early departure fee.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early departure fee?

Are you sure it's not a fee for leaving early in the morning? As in before 6AM for instance. Perhaps their desk is not manned 24 hours and need to bring in staff????

Birmingham
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early departure fee?

Thats not a bad point.

I was wondering whats the worst that can happen if i just leave and don't come back?

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early departure fee?

TooTall123: I have heard about hotels charging an early checkout (as in departure a day or so early as compared to checking out early in morning) fee but never in the context of a fully paid for and non-cancelable reservation. I fear though that if the early checkout fee was included in the terms and conditions when you booked that you could well be stuck with paying it. After all the hotel will be able to charge your credit card when they realize that you left one day early and the credit card company may not back you up if you challenge the charge. I would contact the hotel prior to check-in and see if they actually plan to charge you any fee in addition to keeping your pre-payment if you leave a day early.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 23:05
Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early departure fee?

Hi,

A little Browsing has found that some hotels will charge a fee is you decide to leave early. But if you let them know before or at check-in that you wont require the last night, they MIGHT let you off without the fee. Here is a link about one such impost.

starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/…

I guess it must be in the terms and conditions somewhere if this applies.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

UF

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,898 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Early departure fee?

If there is some fee then maybe if you have left them your credit card info (as most hotels require credit card info to cover costs of things in the mini-bar or some other items), then they may just charge your card whatever that fee is if you just leave without saying anything. I have no idea because I've never seen a fee like this -

Birmingham
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early departure fee?

Thanks for that link. Personally I think its a bit of a p*ss take considering I've already payed and they have the money, if anything they're getting payed for nothing!