We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paris experts pls help!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
244 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
paris experts pls help!

hello! i will ve traveling with my parents to paris next december... im so excited!

but paris can be little bit overwhelming, too much info everywhere, too many reviews and opinions!

my question is: what hotel area is better: montparnasse area? or bastille area?

prices are more or less the same

in looking to be in a nice area, close to the attractions, caffes, also which area have better access to public transpo to from airport?

any help on this will ve very much apreciate it !!!

i cant wait to show my parents the beauty of this city!

thanks!!!!

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paris experts pls help!

The Montparnasse area is quite large, and I like some parts much better than other parts. Same with Bastille--there are parts that may be well suited for you, and others that are party-central.

Can you be specific about the hotels you are looking at? Also, why have you limited your hotel search to these 2 areas?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paris experts pls help!

Really, why have you selected these two areas? They're both great, for the most part, but there are lots of other neighborhoods to look into.

What is your budget, in euros?

Pretty much every area in Paris is accessible to the airport.. There are cafés every 10 feet - that's not an issue.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,031 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paris experts pls help!

And if there are 3 of you coming from and going to the airport than a taxi is a better choice and only slightly more expensive than public transportation.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paris experts pls help!

Hi Patty!

Public transport from the airport will cost about 10 euros per person each way and a taxi costs around 50-60 euros (each way), so for 3 people you might want to opt for the latter.

But, in any case, near a RER B station would be convenient for taking the RER B commuter train to airport -- perhaps you would like it near Luxembourg station that's right by the lovely Luxembourg Garden, with Latin Quarter on one side and St. Germain area on the other.

More info here:

parisbytrain.com/charles-de-gaulle-airport-c…

Another option would be to take the Roissybus, that goes direct to Opéra area ..very nice, central location by the beautiful old opera house.

aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-GB/Passagers/Acce…

Since you asked about particular areas, I think in Marais near to Place de la Bastille is a very good central location ..close to sites, good transportation, shopping.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paris experts pls help!

thanks for all the replies.. well i really dont know why i choose only those areas, i guess more budget friendly than other areas?

by budget in euros is €150/170 a night more or less

i want a clean hotel, good location.

i will take a taxi then seems the best option!

one more time thanks!

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paris experts pls help!

How many days will you be there? An apartment could also be a good option. €150-170 should put you into a decent hotel or apartment in any area.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,031 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paris experts pls help!

If there are 3 of you you will need to book a triple room.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: paris experts pls help!

I prefer staying closer to the river

As a first timer look at the st Germain area and the latin quarter.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: paris experts pls help!

Both Montparnasse and Bastille are excellent areas. Areas near the Seine can be considerably colder and damp in December.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 10:36
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: paris experts pls help!

There are lots of wonderful areas in Paris to stay that are convenient to the metro & cafes, including the 2 you mention. I wouldn't limit yourself though.

Since you seem open to location, I suggest searching through the hotel section here and on sites like booking.com and narrowing it down to a few that meet your needs aesthetically and financially (search for a triple as F1 stated and read the reviews). Then post links here and you will get advice on specific location and possibly personal experience on the hotels themselves.