We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

Hi guys

I'm thinking about getting the eurotunnel to France during the upcoming bank holiday and was thinking of staying just outside Paris. This is mainly due to the fact that I do not wish to hit the city traffic, plus it would be nice to save a few quid on hotel prices if they are at all cheaper outside the city boundaries?

Any other advisors out there who can give me some useful travel, hotel and location advice?

Much appreciation as always.....

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

I would suggest doing the park and ride:

eurotunnel.com/uk/…

You are right that a car in Paris is a big hassle.

But if you don't actually stay in the city, you will have the hassle and expense of commuting in every day, and you won't have the great experience of early mornings and late evenings/nights in the city itself. There are a lot of good budget hotels to choose from, and Paris is where you want to be--not just outside where you can almost taste it but not quite.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,336 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

You will spent more - money and time for commuting to Paris.

Why you won't take Eurostar instead ? You can find a good priced hotel in the city. Metro system is better and cheaper then London's. Anywhere inside peripheric ring road is better then commuting IMO.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

A car will be an expensive hassle, You certainly don't want to drive it in the city, parking costs a LOT, and then you'll have the added expense of commuting - all of which will probably add up to the same as a Eurostar ticket. You might save a bit on hotels, but why go to Paris if you're waking up in some dreary commercial suburb every morning with commuting costs that could go to a nicer place within the city confines? I don't see this as a sensible plan.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

On street parking is free and relatively easy to find in August. Just drive to Paris and stay in an outer arrondissement. I believe there are cheap hotels in the 19th which is north since you are coming from England. Also August traffic is not bad in the city. Avoid being on the motorway on a weekend, find a free parking space in Paris and leave the car there.

For a party of at least two people driving is generally cheaper than last minute train tickets.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 17:21
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

On street parking is free and relatively easy to find in August. Just drive to Paris and stay in an outer arrondissement. I believe there are cheap hotels in the 19th which is north since you are coming from England. Also August traffic is not bad in the city. Avoid being on the motorway on a weekend, find a free parking space in Paris and leave the car there.

For a party of at least two people driving is generally cheaper than last minute train tickets.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 17:21
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

Put it this way, the Eurostar for the bank holiday for a party of 5 is around £700 return for the times we can go. Eurotunnel is £170 for the car. That's a massive saving, and whilst I love Paris at night, and like being in the city, I am not precious about it. Paris is a city that is easily commutable from England so can visit whenever we want and don't mind a short train journey. We just fancied it as a last minute short cheap break.

The park and ride option sounds good, so we can leave the car outside Paris and return 2-3 days later. Is that possible? I would ideally stay in the city if I could.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

I didn't read thru the park and ride link I posted--did it specify how long you could park? I assume people park for several days.

Mrs_French_Mystique is a local resident, so follow up on her suggestion as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

There a quite a few hotels on the peripherique, virtually all offer Parking for a fee. I would head for one of the Novotels.

As pointed out on street parking is relatively easy to find in August and much of it is free.

Also try one of the many places within a 30 minute train ride, Chantilly is an immediate thought or maybe Beauvais.

Or maybe skip Paris and head for Le Touquet, which will be full of Parisiens and is only 30 minuted from the tunnel.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

I have read a lot that there are places to park, but none of it say for how long. Though I have heard Chantily mentioned before. Thanks anyway guys, I'm gonna dig further into the car parking thing, so that we can actually stay in Paris, otherwise I think I'll follow up the Novotel suggestion.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where best to stay outside Paris, to be able to catch train

Hi, if you find out anymore could you please update this post as I'm looking in to similar (stopping for day or two in Paris 30-31 August with a car) thanks