We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The one thing you wouldn't miss

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
The one thing you wouldn't miss

Hi all,

I'm interested in peoples opinions on a little conundrum - I've been lucky enough to visit Paris a few times. Next week, am taking my sister for her first visit for 2 days (much too short a time sadly!).

I have my favourite spots and some ideas, and I've given her a guide book to choose some things that she would love to see but to be honest, I think she's a bit overwhelmed with all of the options, with our limited time.

I don't want to make huge plans, I want to have lots of time for strolling, ogling the windows of the patisseries, grazing our way round fabulous boulangeries and fromageries and stumbling upon fabulous sites, as I think this will give her the best feel for what Paris is really all about.

I'm certain she'll love Paris (who wouldn't?!) and will go back for longer in future, but if you had to choose just one thing that you absolutely wouldn't miss, what would it be?!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The one thing you wouldn't miss

For a first trip to Paris, I think the Eiffel Tower is a must. Unlike cathedrals or museums, it is unique and it is only in Paris.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The one thing you wouldn't miss

If she likes books you could go to the Shakespeare and Co on Rue de la Bucherie - a treasure trove with a great history of taking in waifes and strays who've gone on to greater things! Notre Dame is just across the river and nearby you can also visit the Pont des Arts or Passerelle des Arts with all the Love padlocks. There are lovely wee narrow streets behind Shakespeare and Co.

Of course, the Eiffel Tour is a must, but since it's such a short visit you should try and concentrate in seeing a couple of areas instead of wasting time travelling all over.

For a break from hectic Paris, go to Bercy Village (Metro Line 14: Cour St Emilion) - an oasis of shops bars and restaurants with beautiful gardens nearby. Enjoy.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,098 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The one thing you wouldn't miss

Lunch at Les Pipos ---> http://www.les-pipos.com/

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Pjk

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,082 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The one thing you wouldn't miss

Agree about the Eiffel Tower -- very impressive and absolutely unique.

I went to Paris many times before I heard of Shakespeare and Company -- bookstore which is a curiosity and worth a look if you're passing by, on such a short trip. Les Pipos is alright but nothing special to me, so I think some of the answers you are getting are quite personal and may not suit your sister at all. I always go to the Louvre, for instance, and the Champs-Élysées, which I love.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,309 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The one thing you wouldn't miss

"I don't want to make huge plans, I want to have lots of time for strolling, ogling the windows of the patisseries, grazing our way round fabulous boulangeries and fromageries and stumbling upon fabulous sites, as I think this will give her the best feel for what Paris is really all about."

This is the key. Introduce her to the living city--the history is all around at the same time. Once she falls in love, she will be back for a longer stay and will be able to see "the famous sights" bit by bit.

You may want to do a walking tour (like the "free" Sandeman's) or bus tour (90 minute with Foxity) just so she feels like she was introduced to the famous monuments. But it's mostly about introducing her to the vibe, I agree.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,529 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The one thing you wouldn't miss

Walk by Seine river and over the bridges.

Trocadero view of Eiffel Tower.

Notre Dame view from Left Bank.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The one thing you wouldn't miss

' Notre Dame is just across the river and nearby you can also visit the Pont des Arts or Passerelle des Arts with all the Love padlocks." NO .. they are not Love padlocks ... they are vandalism pure and simple (see numerous other inflamed posts). Don't glorify or romanticize them.

Of course see the Eiffel Tower, and the free walking tours are a great idea, but just wandering, turning down small streets, walking along the river, sitting in Place des Voges or any other park that you happen on - are all great and relaxing ways to see Paris.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The one thing you wouldn't miss

Notre Dame, plus one evening visit to a museum, preferably Louvre or Musee d'Orsay if either fits your dates.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The one thing you wouldn't miss

I like the OP's instinct. She knows her sister better than anyone here. It's possible to get an overview of Paris with something like Foxity, and then just plain walking around. But the walking around would have to be chosen with some care, to avoid exhaustion and sensory overload.

-- Steve

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The one thing you wouldn't miss

Since you are short on time and probably won't have time to fill it with museums - try and at least have a stroll through the Louvre courtyard. Quite beautiful at night... or a fun pass through during the day.