We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can this be done?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Can this be done?

We are going to be in Paris just three days, Saturday to Monday. We want to visit Versailles but, we will be too jet lagged Saturday, Sunday we have a half day tour of the Louvre booked from 10-2, and then Monday, Versailles is closed. Can we see it after the Louvre tour on Sunday....or should we just skip it. I realize it would be a quick look, but we'd at least see it. Opinions please.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,997 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can this be done?

I would give it a miss on this trip. Instead you could take the Metro up to Montmartre for the rest of the afternoon after the Louvre and maybe have dinner there.

Pjk

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
207 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can this be done?

It maybe you, but in all my overnights to Europe, I'm afraid I will be jet lagged. The fact is I rarely feel that. I take a Advil pm before boarding and get some, and yes lousy sleep on the plane. But once we start the decent, it's like watching the sun rise. Totally invigorating. I would plan on Versailles on you arrival day. Drop off the luggage at your hotel then jump on the retro the palace. You will be able to catch some sleep on the train. Don't do a tour, but go at your own pace. Good luck

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can this be done?

The Louvre is actually a palace, too, so you will get the general idea of grandeur from having been in the Louvre. There is a display in the Louvre of the apartment of Napoleon III, so that's another way you might imagine Versailles. In a short trip, you do have to identify priorities, and that can be difficult. Consider, too, the crowds at both the Louvre and Versailles (if you are visiting during high season). Do you want to spend the bulk of your short time in crowds? So probably best to skip Versailles this time.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can this be done?

I guess I should add that Versailles is open until 6:30, so the trip can be done--I think the question is *should* it be done. But after 4 hours at the Louvre I sure know that I couldn't picture doing it. The Louvre is a primary reason for your visit?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can this be done?

Thanks for your thoughts. Its our first time to Europe, and may be a long time till we get back, so trying to decide priorities is hard. I also want time to just wander, so, maybe Versailles will have to wait.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can this be done?

Skip it.

Paris has so much to see and you don't have enough time as is

SF Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can this be done?

We were having the same predicament as you, we'll be in Paris for 3 1/2 days and wanted to go to Versailles. We decided to skip Versailles and hopefully get there in the future. There's so much to see in Paris itself that we're just going to concentrate on seeing everything we can there.

Good luck!

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can this be done?

If you want time to just wander, do you feel that 4 hours in the Louvre is too long for you? Four hours is a significant stretch of time, certainly, but everyone is a bit different here. Many can only handle a three hour stretch. We had a guide at the Uffizi for about 3 hours, and it was wonderful, but after that it would have been the law of diminishing returns for us.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can this be done?

I love the Louvre, but 4 hours would kill me, especially if I had only a short window of time to visit Paris, where there is SO much to do, and much of it outdoors in such lovely surroundings. Perhaps you are artists or have a particular interest, and that's fine, but if not, I'd rethink the 4-hour tour. In fact, I wouldn't take a tour at all, just study up on the layout of the museum ahead of time and make a plan to visit things that hold special appeal.

I also wouldn't visit Versailles with so little time. The best things in Paris are the ones that you just come across around a corner when you least expect them.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can this be done?

A tour is easier in that you do not need to plan the visit and then look for what you want to see/find your way, etc. For me a 4-hour tour of the lovely Louvre would be perfect.

As to Versailles, I agree with the poster who suggested going on your arrival day. If it's important and you think this may be your only chance, then go on Saturday and then you'll have time to stroll and explore Paris afterwards and after the Louvre and on Monday.