We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

The NY Times (www.nytimes.com) had a nice article today on "How to Get the Best Rate (and Avoid Fees)" when exchanging your currency. Essentially, they say get your cash with your debit/ATM card, and/or charge everything you can.

Next to it was an article on "Paris: Culture Biere" explaining some of the beer options in Paris.

And lastly, there was a question in the "Q&A" section on looking for low-cost, no frills airlines in Europe.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

I totally agree with the Times, with a couple of tips they may not have included- make sure your PIN is all numbers as European ATM's have no letters on thekeyboard, make sure your money is in your checking if you have both checking and savings on your ATM- they will only let you access your primary account in Europe, usually checking- here we can usually have an option- and most importantly, call,your ATM provider before you go and alert them to your travel so they won't deny your withdrawals as a possible fraud and also because they might agree to up your daily withdrawal limit during your trip.

They may have mentioned these things in the Times, but just in case...

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

First Starbucks now beer! Oh my.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
528 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

Pixfield, I don't need to read the NYT anymore, I can just read your posts to get the news! Seriously, you post some great tips.

My sister, who works in the financial industry, had advised me to do the same thing to get the best exchange rate -- charge everything or second to that, use the ATM. With all the service fees for charging, though, I'm not sure I came out ahead. I might have been better off to get cash from the ATM first. Charging 10 times a day adds up.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
528 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

PS -- Without going too much off topic, I'm going to be in your city this week (my first sightseeing trip to NYC, believe it or not) and am overwhelmed with the choice of restaurants. I'm not going to ask for NYC recommendations here, but do you ever post in the NYC forum?

USA
Level Contributor
27,107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

>>>First Starbucks now beer! Oh my<<<

Like a skillful Three Card Monty con, it's been those crafty Dutch (from Heineken) all along....distracting French attentions with McDonalld's and Starbuck's.....while pursuing their more diabolic designs of '..cultural imperialism..' in the process of trying to bring about the downfall of traditional French '..café culture..' with beer. Can tulips-only in Palais de l'Elysée be far behind? Never trust anyone in comfortable wooden shoes.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

Thanks for the nice compliments, Mediachick.

Over the years, I have compiled a guide for Paris that I give to my seminar participants when I give my "Hidden Secrets of Paris" presentation. If you would like a copy just e-mail me at myfebparistrip@yahoo.com and put "Paris Guide" in the subject line and I'll send it out to you.

As far as NYC restaurants go, all you need to remember is one thing: Union Square. There are some terrific restaurants of all price ranges near the area and here are my favs:

Expensive:

Grammercy Tavern (check out Teddy Roosevelt's birthplace a few doors down)

Union Square Cafe

Tabla (Indian at Madison Park_

Moderate:

Les Halles (about 23th & Park Ave)

Blue Smoke (Barbecue at 27th & Park)

Republic (Noodles - at Union Square)

Inexpensive:

Shake Shack (at Madison Park - get a Taxi Dog, a Chicago Dog and a Coffee Shake)

Cofee Shop (at Union Square - a real funky place)

If you are in NYC in the summer, do not forget to go to the Metropolitan Museum and go on the roof from 6-9 on Friday or Sat nights. The view is SPECTACULAR.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
669 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

Mediachick,

I used two credit cards and one had fees for each charge and the other didn't ! Happily, I primarily used the card with no charges. Therefore, it appears that checking with your credit card company as to their policy re your card might be a good idea!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
528 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

Pixfield, you're so awesome! Thanks so much for the restaurant tips. I'd love to go on the roof of the Metropolitan (the Met?) at night, but we're only going for a daytrip on Tuesday. I'm sure I'll go back soon, though. I live less than 3 hours away, and yet I never make it to NY. Especially in the summer -- when it's nearly impossible to tear me away from beautiful RI. It's why I put up with the miserable winters.

I'd love a copy of your guide to Paris. I'm dropping you an email.

Cybee, sadly, both my credit cards charged a service fee! I did check ahead. Even the supposed-no-hassles-Capital One. I didn't realize there were companies that don't tack on the fee. Something to look into.

boston
Level Contributor
330 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

I have read (but I haven't done it yet) that you should read those little brochures that come so frequently in the mail from your credit card company. They contain the information about fees, conversion, etc. I always file them away without reading!

There are good articles on bankrate.com and cardratings.com about traveling with credit cards and currency conversion.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: In the NY Times Today: Currency Exchange/Beer/Low Cost Air

Dear MediaChick: I just got the Capital One MC card because I understood there was no "transaction" fee ...are you saying this is not correct????