We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

Country Victoria...
Level Contributor
7 posts
301 reviews
Save Topic
Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

Arriving CDG early on a Saturday, travelling light but cannot check into apartment until 2.00pm.

Will travel RER to Gare du Nord, (accommodation is near Republique).

Any recommendations on how to pass the time in this area, Unlike St Pancras UK the train station appears not to be an appealing place to kill time ( travellers are an older, though sensible married couple)

We sometimes utilize places like libraries which are comfortable places, and restful after a long international flight.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
505 Reviews
from US$72.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,188 Reviews
from US$109.30*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
794 Reviews
from US$124.30*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
631 Reviews
from US$74.10*
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

First thing, see if you can get right in to the apartment. If no one is leaving that day, necessitating cleaning, often a landlord will let you in as soon as you arrive.

Then, if that doesn't work, check to see if you can at least drop your bags at the apartment. That's not uncommon. At least you won't have to schlep your luggage.

If neither of those is an option, consider leaving your luggage in a locker at the Gare du Nord, and hop on the metro. It'll get you to a more charming area in a hurry. By then, you'll no doubt be ready for a hot meal, or at least a good cup of coffee.

Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

Another option if open is try to rent the apartment for an extra night before you arrive. Although an expensive one it might be better than hanging out in a train station or library.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

How much time you have to kill really depends. First, you should plan a nice lunch somewhere near your apartment. Do some internet searches. A leisurely lunch can kill a couple of hours, minimum.

Agree with the above about checking the possibility of dropping off bags at the apartment. Often, they will let you do that, when they don't want you there because of cleaning.

Before lunch, find a place (the GdN or elsewhere) to drop your bags, and stroll the area around your apartment. Find the best patisserie/boulangerie and other shops. Sit in a park for a while, and soak up some sun to help with the jet lag. Have a coffee.

If you take your time at the airport, then arrivals, getting into Paris, having a coffee, having a stroll, then having lunch can easily consume 4-5 hours, so that probably has you mostly covered!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

Agree that you should check - almost always, bags can be dropped well ahead of official check-in time, and it's always possible guests are not checking out day you arrive would may gain you early entry.

In the alternative, you could hang around CDG a bit. If you're planning to purchase a museum pass, you can take care of that. You could acquire all your transit tickets at the RER station. Great coffee, pastries, savory tarts at Illy coffee. Then, head for "your" neighborhood and find a corner cafe (Googlemaps ahead of time) with a nice terrace. For me, watching the passing parade in your neighborhood would be the most preferable way to spend some time (versus an indoor library). If you're not hauling too much, you could also stroll the streets around your apartment for appealing dining spots, necessaries (supermarkets, pharmacies, patisseries, traiteurs, etc., if you haven't determined locations of same in advance).

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

Hi Hitchiker Bear, This has happened to me in Paris. It seems like most flights land early. I would not rent the apt for another night, but I would find a nice little cafe, have a coffee and a pastry, locate the apartment and make yourself acquainted with the neighborhood a little. You say you are traveling light (smart man) so you could take a walk around, locate the markets, newstands, cafes and metros. That should kill enough time and you could stretch your legs a bit after a long flight. That's about what I did when I arrived early for my room in Paris. I was in a more interesting neighborhood, but it's Paris, enjoy. Have a great vacation.

Country Victoria...
Level Contributor
7 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

Hi, thanks to all for the suggestions. Had already considered most of the options, and will probably not rush from CDG. Unless its pouring rain will probably explore Canal St Martin to the NE of Gare du Nord to stretch our legs, and café there before going to the apart.

The idea of a library visit came from passing time around St Pancras Eurostar Station/Kings Cross. The British Library is down the road from the station, no ordinary library, comes with cafes, has some impressive interesting historical documents etc , and special exhibitions. Another option for anyone wanting to kill time around the St Pancras is area is Leisure Centre a short bus ride north; a swim gets the circulation going after a long haul flight.

Level Contributor
531 posts
682 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

The ideas already posted are great. I might add that even if you land at CDG in the early morning you can still kill some time at the airport. Change some money to euros (preferably the safe way at an ATM). Ask questions you might have at the tourist stations and pick up a map and have things pointed out to you if you are not familiar with the city already. Have a coffee and croissant or two.

It also takes some time to get your RER ticket, especially if you have to stand in a queue for some minutes and then find the correct train and board the train and it takes a full half hour to get to your stop if it's an express and more if it is a local.

When you get to Gare du Nord you might ask any other questions that have popped up after you left the tourist office at the airport. The train stations have a tourist office. Have an early lunch and make it slow with a glass of wine or a beer. Meals in France are to be savored and not rushed anyway. If you are in the train station or even close by they have seen people with luggage come in for a bite before. No worries!

I would certainly second the suggestion to see if you can get into your rental flat ahead of time, even if just to stash your bags. Usually if there is an arrival time like 2:00 the previous folks had to be out at something like 10:00 so that the place can get cleaned up and leaving bags is not uncommon.

Good luck!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

We too go to the British Library to kill time near Saint Pancras when in London.

We always stay someplace where there's an office to leave luggage (don't know where you're staying, but if you had a lot of luggage at Saint Pancras, you'd have to stow it there too - we travel very lightly, so the British Library checked our backpacks, which was nice). I'm curious if the British Library has storage for larger luggage (IIRC, it does not). When you go swim, where do you leave your luggage (that sounds wonderful - but are the lockers big enough for a large backpack or suitcase?)

Anyway, in Paris, we stow our luggage (you can use GdN since it has luggage storage) and head out to a museum that has a café. Arts et métiers would be my pick for the library/café kind of feel. Of course, strolling Canal Saint Martin would be lovely too. If it were me, I'd head out to Gare de Lyon, and have a drink or lunch at Le Train Bleu (a drink is inexpensive). There's luggage storage there too. Paris is set up with easy connections among many different spots within the city. You can get your transportation tickets squared away if you haven't already, and then relax in a lovely art deco environment.

I see no reason why you'd want to take your time at CDG. What's at CDG to hang around for?

But my first step would be contacting my landlord about luggage, because it's always fun to get to know one's own neighborhood (although again, this might be your only chance to do some particular thing).

Country Victoria...
Level Contributor
7 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

Hello, Thanks LeBiscuit D, for your helpful info.

Last time in St Pancras we left our luggage at the Kings Cross Luggage Service. They charge Pounds Stg 9 per article, we travel light about 12 kg each. (of we can't carry it -don't take it) Checked on line before arriving and bought with us one of those light, cheap, stripey large, zip top bags and popped both backpacks into one bag to economize. Should you be interested in the pool at Kentish town you can find further information under www.gll.org. They have a couple of pools; the water in the pool at Kentish town is supplied from an underground source of the River Fleet and apparently only needs to be lightly chlorinated.

We will certainly contact our apartment landlady closer to our arrival regarding our luggage.

10. Re: Arrive CDG early need to kill time before check-in to Apart.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 07:17