We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Romantic Break for Young Couple

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First Romantic Break for Young Couple

Hello I am looking to take my boyfriend on a surprise 3 night break to Paris in November (or anywhere else someone may be able to recommend). There are several areas that I need help with as I'm not all that good at booking these things due to being so fussy on wanting things to be nice and worried I will be disappointed!

Firstly is Paris a good location?

Hotels- I want a nice romantic hotel where the rooms are quite nice, I think the best location for us would be near to the Eiffel Tower, would also maybe like to do a river cruise.

Activities- in the day I would like to do exciting fun things like activities and stuff and use the evenings more to see things like the Eiffel Tower and stuff, what kind of activities are available as we are a very active couple.

Lastly my budget for all this would be around £500 then flights on top! I hope somebody can help me I'm stressing!!

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Romantic Break for Young Couple

You don't say where you will be coming from. Is Paris a long way from your home? A long trip (if you are coming from Los Angeles, for example) in a short time (3 days) may bog you down with jetlag and not be too romantic. I'm guessing you are in England (using the pound?) If so, where (can you use the train instead of fly)?

As far as activities in Paris, there are bike tours and the like, but perhaps not the kind of "exciting activities" you have in mind. Are you more outdoorsy and athletic? If so, you might do better where there is hiking, sailing, horseback riding, tennis/golf? Like a resort or natural setting? But if you have a city destination in mind, Paris has a whole lot to see and do, and it is "exciting" to explore on foot.

I don't know that your budget allows for a real upper end hotel and food and activities. You can certainly do this within your budget, but you have under 600 euros for lodging, food, exciting activities (so that would mean you are closer to budget lodging that to elegant accommodations).

Overall, what are you looking for in a romantic vacation? I think you have the idea of what Paris is, but only you can decide if this kind of destination best suits you.

Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Romantic Break for Young Couple

Thank you for getting in contact.

I am coming from the South West in England sorry :) so using the pound.

I am looking for any kind of romantic hotel, where we will be able to go to Eiffel Tower and other attractions more in the evening time and then do activities in the day, yes we are athletic maybe even something nice like wine tasting or anything like that. By look of it there is plenty to do in Paris for 3 days to keep us amused.

The hotel I am looking for is something nice and romantic maybe a nice setting or something like it, not to far from Eiffel Tower. What kind of price would I be looking at for a nice hotel. I seen a hotel called mercure it looks really nice but it's not rated too high on trip advisor. I don't know if I should maybe do one really nice hotel for one night then two nights in somewhere more budget, it seems most hotels are 3* and very budget.

Thank you for your help

London, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Romantic Break for Young Couple

Hi I'm surprising my boyfreind with 3 nights in Paris. This weekend. We are staying at the Eiffel Capiotel hotel. I found that quite good budget. It's about a 8min walk to Eiffel tower. It's quite a modern hotel and just be done up. Obv I haven't been yet but have been really happy with them so far.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Romantic Break for Young Couple

If you want to be able to do activities in the evening I would choose an area more lively then near the Eiffel Tower. Paris is really easy to get around often even just walking. I would look more for an hotel in the 4th, 5th or 6th arrondissement very central. Close to a lot of things. Lively at night.

As for activity you could consider the Fat Tire Bike Tours.

I don't think you need the help of a travel agent. Just get a hold of a nice Guide Book and browse the internet and TA and you will find a ton of infos.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Romantic Break for Young Couple

Perhaps we could be of more help if you could provide your hotel budget in euros/night? They don't use pounds in France.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 17:45
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Romantic Break for Young Couple

I wouldn't advise a young couple looking for an "exciting" time in Paris to stay near the Eiffel Tower. It's a nice area, but probably far too serene and stodgy for you. You can stay in any number of far more exciting neighborhoods in Paris and still be able to get to the Tour Eiffel quickly and efficiently.

With a budget of about 600 euros for the whole stay, you're going to need to look for budget hotels - 100 euros a night or under probably, if you also want to eat and visit attractions. Even so, it's a tight budget.

With only 3 days, I'd be sure to get hold of a good map of Paris ahead of time and study it, so you don't waste time wandering aimlessly. Also get and read a guidebook or two to learn about the many things you can do in your brief visit. And learn the Paris transportation system ahead of time: www.ratp.fr

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Romantic Break for Young Couple

i agree with plannerHaolic about finding a more lively place.

i think if your total budget (not including airfare) is just under 600 euros, then you do need more of a budget hotel, although in November you would get better rates (being outside of high season).

The following hotels are cute and in 'romantic" area IMO. Check the official websites of these places to see if they are right for you (in looks and price). Expect a small room--that is fairly standard.

Hotel des Grandes Ecoles

Hotel du College de France

Hotel Residence Henri IV

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Romantic Break for Young Couple

Bonjour, FayM90

I'll go out on a limb and ask, what do you consider as "activity"? Kayaking? Hiking?

I found the following discussion on kayaking, but it's dated 2006:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k47697…

During the day, you could climb (go up stairs) the Eiffel Tower, Arch of Triumph and Notre Dame Towers. Perhaps the Bois de Boulogne or Parc des Buttes de Chaumont would provide some walking and bicycling opportunities, although the latter park seems to have a lot of construction going on.

How did you decide on Paris? It's known chiefly for its major landmarks and museums. I would consider going to the Louvre as an "activity." Since your idea of an activity is probably different, I would strongly advise looking at a travel guide.

Bonne chance,

MrsJAS

Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Romantic Break for Young Couple

Thank you for all your help!!

How much of a budget would I require to have a luxurious hotel do you expect? Either in GBP or euros?? I am considering maybe two nights in a more budget accommodation and one in a nice one maybe with a romantic package I could stretch my budget a little if needed. It appears I need to maybe look at a different area of Paris as I am unfamiliar with it.

I haven't really decided on Paris it was where most people recommended, I am very open to any ideas for 3 nights between 1st- 4th November I think, my destination is not set in stone I just would really like to take my boyfriend somewhere special! Iceland looks like a possibility but I think from England could become expensive!

Thank you for all your help!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Romantic Break for Young Couple

If you really mean "luxurious," it will be many hundreds of euros a night, probably 400-600 at the bottom end of truly luxurious. But honestly, with only 3 nights the last thing you want to do is switch hotels after a night - there goes a half a day of sightseeing and activities!