We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting article in today's NY Times

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting article in today's NY Times

There is a very interesting article, by Liz Alderman, in today's New York Times Paris Journal, " A Quest to Make Gruff Service in France More Gracious."

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
550 Reviews
from US$72.00*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
659 Reviews
from US$73.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,218 Reviews
from US$120.40*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
824 Reviews
from US$122.80*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,430 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting article in today's NY Times

Thanks for sharing.

Here's a link to the article: nytimes.com/2013/…

2. Re: Interesting article in today's NY Times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 03:05
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting article in today's NY Times

The gross generalsations about the national characteristics of visitors is just as wrong as any generalsation of French customer service service. I don't want to be called by my forename by a stranger and anyway there is no way that a member of the waiting staff or a taxi driver would know it.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,606 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting article in today's NY Times

Euro, shockingly, many French have traveled and know exactly what good customer service is. They just accept they can't get it here.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting article in today's NY Times

Try living in the Netherlands and you'll find that there is no Dutch word for "Customer Service" since it doesn't exist!!!!!

Been to restaurants where they are very nice and friendly, but leave you waiting for menus and slow service even though the place is fairly empty with plenty of staff.

Mentioned in this post
wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting article in today's NY Times

Two trips to Paris in two years and we found the service efficient and friendly if not warm. Yes, the menu does not arrive instantaneously with a waiter announcing his or her name. Frankly, I have no interest in his or her name and if I have come for lunch or a drink, I am content to wait and settle in.

We had not been in Paris in over 30 years at that point and marvelled just how good the service was. Maybe we were just lucky. In Marseille, on the other hand, we experienced some of the worst service we have experienced anywhere in a very long time. That however had more to do with a new server who was not destined long for that industry.

Anyway, in our experience, the myth of bad service in France is just that, a myth.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,338 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting article in today's NY Times

I love David Lebovitz's characterizations of his attempts to buy or return things in Paris. I've rarely experienced gruff service in France - except for this major salope at Air France in 1989.

It happens everywhere. I usually get along really well in Spanish speaking countries (despite knowing a lot less Spanish than French) but had a cab driver in Quito who pretended he didn't understand my simple, correctly pronounced "Terminal Carcelen, por favor." The much longer "bus station for the buses to Otovalo" worked, which was kind of ridiculous.

suitcaseready.com

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting article in today's NY Times

Poor or indifferent service happens everywhere, even in the US (in stores, as they don' t get a tip) and even in laid back Vancouver.

My travel buddy is Asian, doesn't speak much French, but as always been treated nicely in the 30 years we have gone to Paris. I let him deal with hotel desk staff, waiters, department stores saleswomen etc. just to see what they do....

But then everyone who knows him find him charming..even my grumpy dad (who can't remember his children names but remember my buddy foreign name..)...

People reaction to you--good or bad-- comes from the very first impression they get from you... (I know that I will be able to get along with a person--or NOT--the split second we first meet, and have been seldom wrong)

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Level Contributor
916 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting article in today's NY Times

I read an interesting book some years ago called "Savoir Flaire" about understanding the French, their ways of thinking, their conventions and their customs to help the travelers or ex pats get along better in France. My two take away messages that have always served me well are to 1) always say "Bon jour, Monsieur/Madame" whenever entering a shop or approaching someone with a question and 2) to always attempt to speak French, with a preface of something like "Pardon....je suis desolee que je ne parle pas tres bien francais, mais...." and then often English ensues. Knock on wood, we've always had delightful and helpful responses when we employ a little formality and a bit of humility.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting article in today's NY Times

Another pot-boiler article. I do believe that a lot of hostility stems from cultural misunderstanding or non-understanding. There is often a kind of inside joke to French service. A tongue in cheek joking that can be interpreted as rude or brisk if one takes it seriously or straight. Often a playful relationship develops when the customer understands and joins the repartee. Or not...when the customer takes umbrage or offense.