We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Topic
tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

Sorry for the title, it was almost impossible to fit the info into a short phrase. In some places, it is very possible to hand the front desk clerk a $20 or $50 bill and receive a room upgrade. I am just wondering if anyone has ever tried this in Paris and does it work, or will they completely misunderstand and look at you as if you had 3 heads?

Thanks!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

<<I too remember the times long ago when one was given a ream of keys in a hotel to go check out various rooms and choose one. I'd forgotten that. Those were the days, eh?>>

StCirq (and 3CONILS), you will be happy to know that this is still the norm in small town France. It happens to us every time a hotel is not full, even in bling bling Deauville. Same for the booking process, apart from places like Mont St Michel where a bank card number is asked, reservations at small independent hotels are still made with a simple phone call and leaving your name. I have obviously never stayed at a hotel in Paris but I wouldn't be surprised if it could still be done in smaller Paris hotels that don't have internet presence.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

I think the nub of this is that the OP obviously does not understand the non tipping culture of France. As do a lot of other people despite reams of posts about it.

I also am curious that if this is not a bribe but a tip in the US, what happens if the receptionist is unwilling or unable to give the client an upgrade. Do they ask for the money back?.

Personally if somebody slipped me a note between a credit card and a driving license I would be insulted.

......and can we PLEASE talk in euros. Assuming everybodies currency is dollars is also an insult.

Denise Love from England

Edited: 26 August 2013, 12:03
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

"if people are willing to "tip" or "bribe" or whatever to get a better room why don't they just book that room to start with?"

Getting a more expensive room isn't necessarily the goal -- it's an attempt to get a good room, perhaps a renovated one or with the best view. Many hotels don't have all identical rooms in each category, some are better than others.

"I wouldn't be surprised if it could still be done in smaller Paris hotels that don't have internet presence."

I've been given key cards to go see a couple of rooms and choose one at an Ibis Styles, in Paris ..and in other hotels too.

Have also been upgraded to higher category rooms, in Paris, and room was allocated before our arrival, according to what I had asked for when booking.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

grndma - I don't think this issue has anything to do with tipping, so that does not explain things. As has been pointed out previously, a tip is a 'thank you' for services rendered, a bribe is offering money for some kind of special treatment. As you have said - do you ask for the money back if they can't give you the upgrade?

As for the 'dollars' thing, I think we have to shrug our shoulders and accept that TA is a US-based organisation and most of the users are colonials. Just smile in a superior manner :)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

Peri, have you missed all the "hotel" threads with OPs posting budget in GBP?

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

No, and I agree that people should make every effort to post currency comments in euros. I think I am right in saying that quoting budgets etc. in USD is much more widespread than using GBP. This is NOT an anti-American comment, it was intended as light-hearted. Guess it doesn't translate well 'over the pond'

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

I don't care either way. Even when budget is posted in CAD I still use XE Currency Converter to convert to euros ..takes a couple seconds.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

Me too and I can understand people (particularly French members) being irritated at those who can't be bothered.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

..just one more trivial thing to moan about IMO

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: tip the front desk @ Paris hotels for room upgrade?

Vegas is in a reality of its own. But most people in the US I know don't offer money at check in; they may leave a tip on the way out for an upgraded experience. But it is not uncommon for customers to ask if an upgrade is possible/available, for free or for extra money. A hotel may have a surcharge for an upgrade that is less than the published price of that room. It is not offensive or sketchy at all. That is just the way business work.

My bro always book room one level below the best and hopes that on check in an upgrade is offered. It has happened enough for him. I do not think that this constitutes fraud/mismanagement by the desk agent, or that this causes undue hardship on cleaning staff etc... In fact, hotels upgrade clients in the hope of spurring them on to spend more on other things like foods, entertainment, tips for everyone else on premise. I know this works because now that I think I have gotten "free" credit by the hotel I am in better mood to give my son that pay on demand movie, drink that 10 dollars (6.41 GBP/ .75 Eur) bottled water, or run down and eat breakfast and pay that 20% American tip, and tip the door man may a dollar (half a sterling, 3/4 Eur) more.

The hotel may have won a loyal customer, and maybe I like the upgraded room so much I would book it next time out right.