We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying SNCF tickets from US

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Buying SNCF tickets from US

I am trying to buy some train tickets within France from the SNCF website. When I start to purchase them, I get 2 options: 1) mail- doesn't work because US is not listed as one of the countries, 2) pick up from an automated machine that requires pick up with a credit card with a chip.

I know the US credit cards do not have a chip- so my question was- can I pick up the ticket at a SNCF station instead using my credit card. That option is not listed on the website, but I was wondering if that is always something that you can do. I just don't want to be stranded without a ticket when I get there.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
378 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying SNCF tickets from US

I have picked up at the SNCF station with a CC without a chip using the teller window.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying SNCF tickets from US

Besides picking up your tickets at a SNCF station, you can do so at any of the many SNCF boutiques throughout Paris,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,891 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying SNCF tickets from US

You will need your booking reference and the *exact* same credit card used for the purchase.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying SNCF tickets from US

We logged on with a user and password and everything went a lot smoother. We printed our tickets at home, but we used the high speed trains, Paris to Monte Carlo. regional trains are inexpensive as are the high speed trains if you book at 90 days prior to travel. Where is your departure city and where are you going? Let us know and we can help you better.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying SNCF tickets from US

You can safely select the option to collect from the self-service machines.

They won't work if you don't have a chip n PIN card, but that is no problem, you simply collect from the staffed ticket counter, showing the original credit card just as an anti-fraud measure.

The email you get after you buy tells you this. A shame they don't explain this before you buy, it would save people a lot of time and worry.

You might prefer to simply buy at alternative site www.capitainetrain.com, it doesn't have the problems, quirks and diversions to Rail Europe that voyages-SNCF.com does.

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
88 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying SNCF tickets from US

I second the capitainetrain.com recommendation. Very easy!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying SNCF tickets from US

According to many posts Americans can now get cards with chips. Do some looking around and get one before you go...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
353 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying SNCF tickets from US

easy as pie using www.capitainetrain.com. I had pre-registered on the website. I had selected English as my language. I had signed my credit card up for verified by visa before trying to buy tickets. I had alerted my credit card ahead of time about my Europe travel plans.

It took probably two minutes to complete the purchase, and I type slow. A big thank you to Man _in_seat_61 and Nick Booth for the advice.

I checked, the prices were exactly the same and the schedules exactly the same as sncf.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,891 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying SNCF tickets from US

>>Americans can now get cards with chips<<

Yes, but many of them are "chip-and-signature", not "chip-and-PIN". If a card does not have a PIN, it will not work in SNCF ticket machines: it is no more useful than an ordinary mag stripe card.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying SNCF tickets from US

I booked the Eurostar, and on the TGV without a chip credit card. I had no problems printing out the TGV tickets. I had a minor hiccup with the Eurostar but the customer service agent was able to print it out for me as I had a copy of the receipts.