We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions when I touchdown in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Questions when I touchdown in Paris

Hi All! Thanks for clicking.

I'll be touching down in Paris from Singapore at 7am on the 16th December for our honeymoon.

Will we be able to do light winter clothing shopping before we take our rail to Lucerne, Switzerland at about 12pm? Because it's expensive to buy winter clothing here as we don't have any other season other than hot sunny days.

And anyone experienced taking rail from Paris to Lucerne? Is it easy and convenient? What do we have to take note of?

Thanks All, Have a great day!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions when I touchdown in Paris

I don't think that's enough time - stores don't open until 9 or 10 am, unless it's Sunday, then many don't open at all. I would allow myself more time.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions when I touchdown in Paris

No. It is not enough time.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions when I touchdown in Paris

No, that's definitely not enough time to go shopping before you leave for Switzerland.

You need to arrange your train tickets to Lucerne ahead of time, not just buy them on the spot unless you want to pay top price.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions when I touchdown in Paris

@TracieKnits @In_Love_With_Paris @StCirq Thanks for the replies!

I will be booking my Lucerne tickets as soon as they release the prices, as of now, they are still unavailable. 90days from 16th December is 17th September. 90days, or do they release earlier?

So how much time is needed for me to go just one place to get winter clothing near the rail station? I have no fixed check in time in Lucerne as I booked through Airbnb. But the second day, I'm going for Viator Jungfraujoch day trip.

I'll be going Lucerne 3days, Zermatt 3days, Venice 3days, Rome 5days, Florence5days and back to Paris for 10days.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions when I touchdown in Paris

You would have to be ultra efficient, but there are a few small clothing shops on the lower level of Gare de Lyon. I doubt you will have time to go, however, which is a shame since you will find prices about 30% higher in Switzerland.

Perhaps you could order some clothing online before then?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions when I touchdown in Paris

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Even in Sg you can get winter clothes. :) Just went to town today and saw that Zara has already started selling down jackets and pea coats (It's a sweltering 33degC outside :P) Nearer Dec there will be winter clothing sales (I know because I have bought winter clothes in early Dec for my Dec trips too! ) I've also gotten winter wear from Backcountry.com and shipped them to Sg using Borderlinx. Still cheaper than local prices. And of course Uniqlo stocks a good range of affordable winter clothes. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions when I touchdown in Paris

You are really going to need at least a coat on arrival in Paris ...

Try ... http://www.theiconic.com.au/lp-clothing/ ... and Marks & Spencers also sell online. You've got loads of time.

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions when I touchdown in Paris

Your TGV Lyria to Lausanne may leave from platforms A to N or rather from the distant 5 to 25 (plate forme jaune) if I remember well.In that case reckon with extra transfer time .

You may get info on your phone:

gares-en-mouvement.com/en/…

…amazonaws.com/100/…

f731fce

For a virtual visit:

http://www.gares360.com/itiview/?project=139

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions when I touchdown in Paris

@kerouac2

Are they open early? I intend to take the 12pm rail to Lucerne! Yeah my future wife have a few coats of her own, just ordered one this afternoon. She's prepared for winter, I'm not!

@Toralina

Zara having sale?? Hardly go down to town these days. Shall go check it out!

@able58

Yeah I really need to get a coat at least. Any idea how good the weather is going to be like in December? Hovering around 0degrees?

@guidemontelimar_13

Thanks for the advice! If not I would definitely get a panic attack on that day, what more after my jet lag.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,025 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions when I touchdown in Paris

let me suggest that you both get silk long johns on line before you go -- they really make a difference and yet don't really overheat you. If it were me I would be sure I had polartek pullovers and a down jacket BEFORE arrival -- it is really difficult in my experience to quickly locate the exact thing you want when you have so little time. You will have luggage and a train to catch and no guarantee the first 3 stores you go to will have what you want. No chance of ordering this stuff on line?