We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

Dear Advisors,

I'm flying in via Malaysian Airlines into CDG at 7am in Dec. We're hoping to head to London from here via Eurostar (connect through the RER trains).

I would need to purchase in advance my Eurostar tickets, so if I land at CDG at 7am, how long would it take me to get out and board the RER train and then into the Eurostar?

Thanks,

Kash

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,461 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

Do not book the Eurostar for earlier than 11.00, preferably later.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,758 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

erm ... why not add a CDG - London flight sector to your booking? That way you avoid Immigration at CDG and your London connection is protected in case of delay (you will be transferred to a later flight).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

Sydneynick,

Thanks mate!

Edited: 29 August 2013, 14:13
Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

Wirewiper,

The idea was to experience the Eurostar..

5. Re: Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 December 2015, 20:53
Edited: 30 December 2015, 20:53
Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

Thanks Diz..

Paris, France
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

Immigration could take 30 mins, especially if you fly with 380 plane and got other airlines from Asia which arrive at the same time (6 am to 7am for Cathay and Sing).

But big bad point is lugguage belt. Usually after immigration clearance, you have to wait quite long for your lugguage.

In a A380 flight if your lugguge are among the last one, it could be quite long.

So I would prepare 2 hours transit, especially if you are unfamilliar with CDG Airport.

RER to gare du Nord is quite fast.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,481 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

Count on an hour to get through passport control, baggage claim, and customs. Once in a while it will be less, once in a while it will be more, but an hour is a good estimate.

It will take you another hour to get into the city to the Eurostar at Gare du Nord.

You have to check in at least 30 minutes prior to departure for the Eurostar.

So SydneyNick is spot on -- don't book the Eurostar any earlier than 11 am...and even that doesn't leave you much room for error.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
250 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

We're travelling on the same flight next week, there's no ticket availability so I'm assuming the flight is full.

We also are also travelling to the UK on the Eurostar, our friends live near the first stop, so we have booked a hotel near Gare du Nord Station for one night, also gives us a night in Paris. We're also staying there for a couple of nights on the return leg.

10. Re: Airport Immigration and Customs Clearance duration?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 07:20