We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Giverny

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clinton Township...
4 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Giverny

My Husband and I will be traveling to Paris in 7 days ! This will be our first trip to Paris. I would like to take a day trip to Giverny to see Monet's home and gardens. Many that I talked to said I should have booked a tour, but I really do not want to be held to tours time and sight constraints. It looks like such a beautiful place with many other surrounding sights to explore at leisure. I have read almost every other forum here about Paris and find all of the contributors to be so helpful and knowledgeable. Many Thanks to anyone who can share any thoughts or insights on this.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
813 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Giverny

I haven't gone to Giverny from Paris, but I've been there twice - once in September. I don't think you need a tour. From what I've read on this forum and in guidebooks, getting there by train is pretty straightforward. The gardens should still be gorgeous when you're there in early September.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Giverny

In my view, you do not need to take a tour. It's easy to get there by train. Train from Gare St. Lazare to Vernon and then bus, taxi, bicycle or walk to the gardens. I have been twice and never with a tour though I did drive once and it was very easy. The only issue is that both times I had not bought tickets ahead of time and had long waits to buy and by long I mean 15 to 20 minutes. You can buy tickets ahead of time: http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/ticket/. Getting there from Paris: http://giverny.org/transpor/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,345 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Giverny

Buy your tickets online- it's valid any day to the end of season- you can use group entrance, no waiting in line.

It's way more interesting and cheaper if you do it yourself- you can take your time to see everything at your own pace. It's beautiful there.

I recommend that you take 8:20 am train from Gare St. Lazare to Vernon and then charter buses are waiting to take you to Giverny right at the opening time. Go to water lilies pond first to beat the crowd.

Set aside extra time for lunch in this picturesque village.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Giverny

Another recommendation for getting there at opening time (so your photos won't be full of people).

Either purchase your train tickets ahead of time or allow plenty of time in the morning, as you never know how long the line will be for tickets or how quickly they will move.

See the official website - there are lots of beautiful spots for enjoying a leisurely lunch before returning to Paris, so schedule your train journey back accordingly if you want to do that.

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Giverny

Rosenb - my husband and I will be in Paris in a week as well - and we are from Sterling Heights...small world.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Giverny

First train out in AM from Gare St. Lazare to Vernon. Walk to the shuttle bus to Giverny. Buy tickets in advance or at the box office upon your arrival. No need for a tour from Paris. Do it on your own and save about 60% and you will have a feeling of accomplishment.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Giverny

I should have said early train from St. Lazare.

USA
Level Contributor
76 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Giverny

We just did the fat tire bike trip to Giverny and enjoyed that immensely. Nice combination of art history lectures and fun meeting other travelers. We had over 2 hours at the house and garden and that was plenty for me. You could do it on your own for less but we enjoyed it ( 2 adults plus 3 kids aged 13-23).

Clinton Township...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Giverny

Wow ! That is a small world ! Are you there for the week ? Have you been there before ?

Clinton Township...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Giverny

Thank-You everyone, this information is very helpful and much appreciated !