We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Germain or Le Marais in early November

vail
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
St Germain or Le Marais in early November

Hello all,

My wife and I are planning a quick trip to Paris (probably 4 or 5 days) in early November. My wife previously visited Paris for a day or so, but I have never been. We're not touristy people and have no delusions that we will be able to see all of this great city in a few days. We wouldn't even want to if we could! I'm trying to find a place for us to stay (non hotel) that would give us a great taste of Paris.

In my research, it seems like St Germain is a great area to stay in. Le Marais looks interesting as well. As far as the "sights" we know that we can stay anywhere and see the landmarks using the metro/taxi/bus/our feet, etc... I expect our days will be spent mostly sittigng at cafes and wandering around. We want to see The Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the Musee d'orsay mostly. With those and a few great meals, I think we'll be very content.

We don't have a huge budget and I don't like staying in hotels (as I worked in one for years, I often find myself feeling like I am going to work when I get in a hotel). We liek the lcoal flavor that we get when we stay in apartments or rental properties. I'm scouring VRBO and Air BnB at the moment. St Germain and Le Marais seem to be areas with a lot of history and character.

Do you have any recommendations based on this information? Thanks for any help you can give!

jon

Eiffel Tower
Observation Decks & Towers, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Louvre Museum
Art Museums, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Architectural Buildings
Notre Dame Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites, Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
Basilica du Sacre-Coeur de Montmartre
Historic Sites, Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Germain or Le Marais in early November

Start by looking at Parisbestlodge.com and see if they have anything available for your dates. They get excellent reviews here, but because they're so well-reviewed, they book up fast. The thing you have going for you is that November is off-season, so they may have some availability. Good luck.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Germain or Le Marais in early November

Both locations are fine. St. Germain tends to be full of American tourists, but shouldn't be too bad in November. It has the highest real estate prices in Paris, so it may not be the best place to look if budget is an issue. The Marais is a large - and somewhat un-defined area. Be sure to check for an exact address. You also might like staying in the 11th or 12th arrondissements near the Bastille. This location is still central and you can easily walk to the Marais or hop on the metro or bus. For the Bastille area you might check with Paris at Home: http://www.parisathome.fr/uk/ukindex.htm

vail
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Germain or Le Marais in early November

Thanks for the heads up. Those are very nice looking accommodations. It appears that the rentals are only for a week at a time?

Perhaps this is for a different topic, but what is the first week of November like in Paris? I'm assuming somewhat brisk, and I'm sure all the leaves are off the trees by this point of the year?

vail
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Germain or Le Marais in early November

Thanks for recommending the Bastille area as well. I'll check that out!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Germain or Le Marais in early November

Quite a few apartment rental agencies do have one-week minimums. If you can, I'd suggest adding a day or two to your trip. You lose most of your arrival day due to jet-lag the the lack of sleep on the overnight flight. So your 4 days is really only 3 days. paris is long way to go for such a short trip.

In May I stayed this an airbnb apartment near the Bastille: www.airbnb.com/rooms/232539

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Germain or Le Marais in early November

Have a look at the link below.

vrbo.com/my/…paris

We have stayed in a couple of this landlord's studio apartments and he will take bookings of less than a week if he has availability. Olivier has a good reputation as a landlord and responds quickly to requests for information. We stayed for 11 nights in the studio on Rue Amelot #346791 and found it very comfortable and only a few minutes walk from Le Marais.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Germain or Le Marais in early November

I like both locations but strongly prefer St G

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,414 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Germain or Le Marais in early November

I find the Marais younger and more dynamic.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,556 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Germain or Le Marais in early November

Even if more expensive I loved St. Germain so much more.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
2,211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Germain or Le Marais in early November

I have stayed a couple of times in St. Germain at www.vrbo.com/58971 and it is a lovely 1-bedroom about two blocks from St. Sulpice. It is usually booked out when I want to return to it. But I note that the only day it is currently booked for November is the 1st. I think the owners may consider a 4-day stay, but I am unsure whether the price is within your budget.