We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do French woman stay so thin?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How do French woman stay so thin?

Just came back from Paris. I loved it. Stayed for 7 days, but i wish we had 2 more days just to stroll around and really take in the city.

When we were buying our groceries we noticed that they don't sell many fat-free products like they do in Canada, or have many whole grain breads. Pastries and baguettes are everywhere. Yet they don't have a weight problem like in Canada and America. What do they eat , or maybe I should ask-how much????

Can anybody answer me, please.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
491 reviews
from US$72.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.60*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.00*
US$334.40
Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do French woman stay so thin?

Here are my personal observations on why Parisians have less of a weight problem than people in American and Canada:

In America and Canada, our beef/chicken/fish is often loaded with growth hormones. We eat the products with those growth hormones and guess what? We grow. For instance, it takes a natural grass-fed cow three years before it is brought to market. A hormone-fed cow takes 18 months.

Many Paris apartments don't have elevators (or A/C for that matter), so it is not uncommon to have to walk up and down 5 or 6 flights of stairs everyday.

Their home refrigerators are small - they store less food in their apartments so they snack less.

I am sure there are more reasons, but like I said, these are my personal observations.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do French woman stay so thin?

You can always read the book..."Why French Women Don't Get Fat." It is an interesting read... some great recipie's too!

Main points are...they walk alot, drink alot of water, eat a bit of everything and eat in moderation. They don't have huge American breakfasts like we do, generally eat a larger meal at lunch, they eat for quality, not quantity- choosing natural products, not preservative laden junk like we do in the states.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do French woman stay so thin?

I forgot one point she makes. In general, the French do not go out to lunch and dinner, nearly as often as they eat at home. They opt to make good quality meals at home, where they are in control of the ingredients.

Hope this helps!

4. Re: How do French woman stay so thin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2006, 13:30
Paris (20th)
Level Contributor
842 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How do French woman stay so thin?

…bbc.co.uk/2/…5110632.stm

Read the fourth section especially.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do French woman stay so thin?

Trini-

Hey...speak for yourself! I can't remember the last time I had a headache!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How do French woman stay so thin?

Everything that was said here is true .

However the truth is that there is also a much more unpleasant Future for a woman who is overweight in France than in other countries.

The pressure to remain thin or slim is tremendous because otherwise you do not get a Job! And you may really starve for good!

The discrimination against overweight people is enormous here and no HR will hire you if you are too fat.

This apply for men too and some years ago even in the Public Sector a postman was fired because he was considered too fat.

I work for a big international recrutment firm here in Paris but the HR are French and they absolutely select candidates according to their weight! ( a woman or a man can be ugly but NEVER fat!)

In the poorer parts of France ,up North for instance there is a big Obesity problem.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do French woman stay so thin?

Thanks for all answers. The latest one is very sad but i am inspired by the Parisians and still plan to eat healthier and lose my excess weight.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do French woman stay so thin?

You hit the nail on the head with your almost last line << What do they eat , or maybe I should ask-how much????>>

The thin ones do not snack. The only food that passes their lips is breakfast, lunch and dinner.

As for those meals, the really thin ones believe strongly in a solid breakfast. Many of the ones I know still indulge in a tartine. Most of them also include yogurt (nonfat). Lunch is often optional and dinner very light. (my children eat at the school cantine where they receive a hot three course lunch. The school posts dinner recommendations of light meals like an omelette and a yogurt, or croque monsieur and apple sauce).

Portions are also smaller here, at home and when dining out.

For dining out they will skip lunch if they know they are dining out, or have lunch out and then skip dinner. When they do go out they will often order all three courses, indulgence being th whole pointing of the celebration.

We all walk ALOT here, which helps, as does, quite frankly the peer pressure.

French families tend to cook more than we ever did living in the US. Sounds weird, but they are less likely to be eating convenience foods with hidden fats and calories. You know what is in your sauce, because you are the one who prepared it.

What they do not do that I observed while living in the US is fill themselves with "fat free" snacks, forgetting that less fat often means more calories.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do French woman stay so thin?

My french grandmother and great grandmother were fat. And french.

BUT< their observation was that since they were very old( thier estimate) it was not so bad, but they WERE thin when younger. My grandmother found it shocking how many YOUNG women were fat here,( Canada) on her first visit.

I think the walking is a big part of it. My grandmother walked everywhere, in HIGH HEELS , well into her eighties!!!