We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
316 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

Cafe, brasserie, restaurant, according to some signage I saw.

But can it be only 1 or 2 of three in any combo?

Is it size-related? Whether or not alfresco? Extent of menu?

(in US, cafes are coffee-oriented & usually smaller than restaurants

& rarely are both titles used by one establishment...?)

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 03 September 2013, 01:42
California
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

I'll take a stab at it: A cafe is open all day and is casual. You can go there for a cup of coffee, a drink or a meal. A restaurant typically has set opening hours, for example 12-2 for lunch, then they close until dinner and reopen at 7 or 7:30 until close. You're expected to order a meal, not just a drink. Brasserie means "brewery", which is what they started out as. They are generally open all day like a cafe but tend to be a little more upscale. I'm sure someone will come along with better definitions for you!!

Edited: 03 September 2013, 02:59
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,968 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

I think that Annette´s explanation above is as good as anyone might offer. The definitions themselves are not exact, many restaurants are calling themselves either brasseries or cafés. Generally, a café has all day food and beverage service. A restaurant has more defined serving hours.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

Most cafes will usually have a much more limited food menu than a restaurant.

A cafe-restaurant usually means that they have 2 different sections: one for the cafe, one for the restaurant...the division being either a solid wall with doors, or a few planters...(and they need 2 different licenses I think)

Some cafes-restaurants use part of the cafe as dining room by placing table cloths (linen or paper) cutlery and glasses on some tables. Bare tables then = cafe section only. After lunch or dinner these tables are again part of the cafe section..

Brasseries are often--but not always-- very big places, not necessarily upscale ones. The major difference is that a brasserie serves cooked food all day long.

It isn't unusual to see some people eating a 3-4 courses meal --including steak--a 7 am or 1 pm. And breakfast at 1 pm...

Then there are bistros..originally a Parisian slang word for working class cafes...now it sometimes just a chi-chi word to mean a place pretending to be working class while serving expensive show-off dishes...

Let's not forget that many cafes owners like to call their place a bar, as cafes serve more alcoholic drinks than tea, cafe or soft drinks.. In some towns there will be a Cafe de la Gare on one side of a square and a Bar de la Gare on the other...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

I have lived in Paris long enough to know that the words overlap indiscriminately and just provide a few nuances of meaning to a casual passerby such as 'yes, you can have just a drink' (café), 'we serve full meals' (restaurant) and 'non stop service throughout the day' (brasserie). The bit about any place calling itself a brasserie being bigger is not a hard set rule, but usually true since obviously only a bigger place can manage to have non-stop service. Or at least that used to be the case -- with all of the ready made dishes available from the wholesalers now, much smaller places can be a 'brasserie.'

Edited: 03 September 2013, 05:58
Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

Some will throw in "Tabac" as well if they offer those services. And, yes, you will often see a mixture of these labels on the awnings...

www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/3016582115/

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

You can see all three and sometimes more words in a single establishment: café - bar - brasserie - restaurant - tabac. There is no strict rule as to what it what. Café and bar will mean they serve drinks all day and restaurant and brasserie will mean they serve food (sometimes during limited hours, sometimes all day, especially if it says brasserie).

Edited: 03 September 2013, 13:06
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

These are two establishments in my town. The first one says Café - Brasserie - Tabac. The second one just across the street from it says Café - Restaurant - Salon de thé. I can guarantee they are exactly the same types of establishment when it comes to food, drinks and atmosphere. They are what we simply call cafés and in urban areas, most of them serve food too. As for the 'Salon de thé' label, one can only wonder why they threw it there. I have known the place for 27 years and it has never been nor had the feel of a tea room. Just to show you that words do not necessarily mean much.

http://i42.tinypic.com/ncm6w3.png

http://i39.tinypic.com/keb3ti.png

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,957 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

And don't forget "Relais" as in Relais Odeon ---> http://www.relaisodeon.com/

Pjk

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

Dare we mention "bistro"??

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Paris, a dining establishment can be all three?

It's the naughty corner for you, Sean!