We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

We are traveling to Paris in late Sept and as this was an extension of a last minute work trip to France for my husband, we are just now booking our hotel. I have searched high and low and in our price range, I am coming up with the Holiday Inn St. Germain or the Hotel St. Paul Rive Gauche. I've looked at what feels like nearly every hotel in the 5th/6th arr and most are sold out or single rooms. I've also looked extensively at apartments, but very few offer just a 3 night stay.

We'd like to stay at St. Paul over Holiday Inn, but the only option available right now is the small standard double. Can anyone tell me just how small a room it actually is? We really don't plan on being there often, so it's not a huge deal but I'd like to make sure I know fully what we're getting ourselves into if we book.

Location-wise, any advantage to staying at one hotel over the other? Our desire was really to be in the 6th, but I am just striking out everywhere. I'm not against the Holiday Inn, but just feel like I can stay in that sort of hotel anywhere here in the USA, know what I mean?

Any insight you can provide would be much appreciated! :)

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

It might be an idea to email / phone the hotel to ask for specific dimensions, if they have them. I know it's a chain, it is French, but have you tried Accor Hotels. They have various different standards of hotel - Ibis, Sofitel, Pullman, Mercure etc, but there is an apartment hotel in Paris which, might suit your budget:

accorhotels.com/gb/…index.shtml

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

Look you have had to book VERY last minute for the busiest time of the year ( , yes, September!) At this point I would not get too obsessed on room size,, clean, good location, the quality you want/need, the price you can afford ,, but room size ,, if is Paris, its going to be small unless you are staying high end hotels with $$$ prices.

Best idea if it really really matters, is to do as fifitrain says and email hotel.. they will be honest if you ask for dimensions. . they don't think room size is as important as most of North Americans do as its just not common to have large rooms.

Its always good to pack light,, most hotels rooms 'I have stayed at in Paris have little clothes storage area and extra suitcases often have to go under the bed.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

The website gives the room dimensions when you start the booking process.

Small double room (10 m²) with one large double bed 1m40x 1m90, shower, toilet, hair-dryer, flat screen TV Sat., mini-bar, safety-box, telephone, small desk, free Wifi, Air-conditioning. Sound-proof windows.

- - that is a double bed not a queen

Classic double is 12-14 sq m, double bed

Superior double is 15 sq m, almost queen bed

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

Thanks all. I wasn't as concerned about the actual size of the room as I was about hearing something like "The room is so small, the toilet is right in the middle of the room without a door" or something like that, lol. ;)

I've been to Paris once before but that was in the spring. I had NO idea how busy September is in Paris!

Level Contributor
8,554 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

Have you read the reviews...most people do mention room size in their review...you can pm them and get more specific...it takes some time but the reviews can be really helpful. I mean you know it is going to be small and I guess get the biggest one they have?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

I actually stayed in one of the small rooms at St Paul Rive Gauche last month. The room itself was small but I have seen smaller in Paris. There was about 2 feet on either side of the double bed,. On one side there was a small closet and there was a mini bar/coffee table on the other side and there was a desk and chair in a corner.

The size of the room was perfectly acceptable to me, but the bathroom in my room, particularly the shower was smaller than average. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

Thanks @Rachelnyc - that was exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for. The website said there was only 1 room left and it was a great price, so we booked it. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

Glad to help. It's a charming hotel and the staff is great. Well, except for the night guy who can be a bit surly but I find that is pretty typical of late night hotel clerks (that's why they work that shift, so they don't have to interact as much with guests). Enjoy!

9. Re: Hotel Paul Rive Gauche, how small are the smallest rooms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 05:19