We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Navigo Mois Card: do you get it straight away?

Rennes, France
4 posts
Save Topic
Paris Navigo Mois Card: do you get it straight away?

Good evening everyone:

I'm heading to Paris tomorrow evening (!) for some time, and I'd like to buy a Navigo Mois card to last a month. I understand they cost 5 Euros and I wish to pay the 65 Euros to allow me to travel within zones 1+2, but I'm a bit confused as to how to obtain one.

I know that you're meant to go to a "guichet" to obtain one, but do you simply get it there and then? I realise that the night before going on holiday, one really ought to have sussed this out by now, but that's my scattiness for you!

Thank you!

Catherine.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Navigo Mois Card: do you get it straight away?

You pay for the card at a kiosk. The receipt you receive is traded in at the service window for the card. You must have a 25mmX30mm picture of yourself to attach the the card. With your picture attached and you name printed on the ND card, place it back on the designated area of the kiosk and pay for the desired fare.

Weekends are zone free for monthly/annual fare purchasers meaning you can go just about anywhere on Saturdays and Sundays, even with your zone 1-2 fare.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,890 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Navigo Mois Card: do you get it straight away?

Are you thinking of the Navigo Decouverte? You can purchase this for 5 euros and then load it for the week or calendar month. You will need a small photo to attach to the card.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,753 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Navigo Mois Card: do you get it straight away?

if you want the Navigo Decouverte for the month, which is what I assume your 'Navigo Mois' means you should be aware that this is for a calendar month -- so if you come mid month for a month, you will need to charge the card weekly rather than monthly. The Navigo Decouverte is for set periods a week from Monday-Sunday or a month from the first to last day of that month.

it is important if you are buying from a clerk to stipulate Navigo Decouverte because tourists are not eligible for the Navigo and the very occasional jerk clerk will pretend to not understand that you want the ND and tell you it isn't possible. (I have only met one of these but I imagine a novice Paris tourists would be quite discouraged by the experience)

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Navigo Mois Card: do you get it straight away?

Actually Navigo Découverte is the name of the 5 € card but the monthly or weekly pass is simply called navigo. You can get the monthly navigo for the current month until the 20th so since you arrive tomorrow it is worth still worth it for this month, especially since you can go beyond zone 2 on weekends.

But as stated by Janet, it won't last a month, it will only last till the end of this month.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 19:03
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Navigo Mois Card: do you get it straight away?

Be sure to take a small picture. You can just print it out on your computer. You should have a chip and pin card, right? so no problems at the kiosks. Have a great time (the Navigo Decouverte is very simple and works on the bus too).

6. Re: Paris Navigo Mois Card: do you get it straight away?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 06:21