We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight layover in Paris

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight layover in Paris

I arrive in Paris CDG at 10:30pm and leave at 8:00 am in November on a Thursday. What will be open at the time?

I believe the metro is open until 1:30 am on Thursdays, and re-opens at 6 am, so I plan to use that to get to/from the airport. I was hoping to see the Eiffel Tower all lit up and was wondering if there are any bars/clubs that will be open into the early morning?

I will be traveling with another female, mid 20s and we are looking to explore Paris nightlife and neither of us has ever been out in the city.

Suggestions would be much appreciated! THANKS!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight layover in Paris

You can't use the Metro to get to and from the airport. It simply doesn't run that far out.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight layover in Paris

You would take the RER B (train) to Paris from CDG. The last train departs just before midnight. It seems like you will be through customs and luggage claim just in time to get one of the last trains--you should plan for about an hour getting through all that, although you may luck out.

There are clubs in Paris that stay open very late. The first RER from Paris to CDG departs at 4:56 and arrives 5:26 at CDG. (Then you need to get to your terminal)

parisbytrain.com/rer-train-from-paris-to-roi…

You really need to consider all the variables and if you actually do have ample time. You'll need to get from the RER station to the club you decide on (that will be by metro or taxi). When getting back to CDG (to the RER station), what will your transportation be from the club to the RER station (metros closed). You have to make sure that your transportation goes smoothly for you don't miss your train (and then your flight).

What time do you actually need to check in for your 8 am flight? International flights usually recommend 3 hours. Are you cutting things too close? Where will your luggage be during your night in Paris?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight layover in Paris

We will check luggage so that it stays in the airport and we do not have to deal with it (probably just one bag anyways). Layovers in the states usually deal with luggage automatically..since I purchased the flight through the same company also (Airfrance). is that different in Europe? I have a friend in Paris so I could leave luggage at their apartment if not.

So I'd be out of airport at around 11:30pm (23:30)? Try to be back by 5:30am? which means leave wherever I am en-route to airport at 5am? Does that time table make sense?

We are open to taking taxis if there is no other option (to get back you mean?). Thank you for the information on the CDG trains - will look into that.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight layover in Paris

I don't know where your flight originates (what country/city in Europe). Are you saying that your entire flight is on Air France and you are booked through to Miami? You do mention collecting your luggage--which seems to mean you are not checked through, but are on 2 separate flights. Which means you will have to check-in and check luggage for your 8 am flight. As far as I have always seen (for Air France) they recommend 3 hour check-in prior to flights to the US. So that would mean beginning check-in at 5am. And 5 am would mean taking a taxi--as the RER will only just be leaving for its first trip from Paris to CDG at a few minutes before 5.

I think is important to speak to an Air France rep about your flight (and check their website for regulations) before you try to make any plans. If you are indeed recommended to arrive at CDG by 5, then you are faced with getting a cab at 4:15 am or so . . . seems like a lot of hassle and expense in order to spend from 12:30 until 4 in Paris? Taxi is about 50 euros each way.

But before you even begin to answer that question, contact an Air France rep. Know what time you need to be at the airport in order to check a bag and check in. Allow enough time to pick up your bag at luggage storage as well. I think you are overlooking the amount of time it takes to bet the in-between things done.

If you have a friend in Paris, then I would also ask that person for suggestions for clubs/bars that he/she knows you will like, and then check their hours to determine that they don't close at 2. If they do, then you will have traveled into the city for nothing, really.

But, again, the first step is to get the real info about your ticket, flight, baggage, etc. Don't assume anything.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 23:39
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight layover in Paris

I think you need to forget about the leaving luggage with the friend in Paris option. Even if she/he goes out with you all night, you'll have to factor in the time getting to wherever she/he lives to drop off the bag(s), then back again to pick it/them up before going back to CDG. And if he/she is not going out with you, who wants people dropping off and picking up bags at those hours?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight layover in Paris

I am on a layover from Madrid to Prague. Since it is a layover and not two separate flights, I thought I would not need to collect my luggage. I will check with the AirFrance rep. Thank you for your suggestions, again!

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight layover in Paris

If you are actually checked through to Prague--no luggage collection and no separate check in--then that is a different story. But I wanted to make sure you were covered safely before you started getting actual suggestions of late night bars and clubs. It's the mom in me--i was worried about you! Come back to the forum when you are sure of your responsibilities for the flight. Best to play it safe.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight layover in Paris

and since you're on a layover from Madrid to Prague, there's not the3 hours required for US flights. Enjoy your night in Paris... but take a taxi to go back to CDG.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight layover in Paris

The first RER to CDG 4:56 am goes from Gare du North.

IMO morning taxi is a must.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight layover in Paris

How early do I need to arrive back at the airport? My flight leaves at 7:20 am and my luggage is taken care of (nor will I have any carryon luggage).

I will not make it if I take the RER at 4:56? How much does a taxi range?

We arrive at 10:10 pm.. the last RER leaves at 10:40 on Thursday. I assume this is far too close for me to make the last train? If RER is out of the question, is there another mode of transportation other than taxi (trying to keep costs down). A shuttle bus of some sort that I can book in advance, perhaps?

I hope I cleared things up a bit!