We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

normandy

Menifee, Arkansas
3 posts
Save Topic
normandy

my wife and I will be on a cruise ship, docked in a port close to Paris, in September of next year, during are two day stop, I we would like to visits Normandy (My dad was part of the D Day invasion, on June 6th. ) any suggestions how to get there from Paris and return same day to Paris.

Thanks

Brian

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: normandy

There is a very good chance that your cruise ship will dock closer to the D-Day beaches than to Paris. Where is your port of call?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: normandy

Depends where your cruise ship docks.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: normandy

They seem to call Le Havre - the Port of Paris!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Le Havre is miles away from Paris. You should be able to go from Le Havre to the D-Day beaches without having to go to Paris. Unless your plan is to visit Paris as well.

I'd check where you will actually be docked.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,693 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: normandy

I'd go to Bayeaux for the night and take a morning half day trip of the beaches and then return to Le Havre or Paris depending on where you are docked. You could see the Bayeaux Tapestry, the Cathedral etc the afternoon of arrival and do the tour in the morning. I'd stay at the Churchill HOtel which is convenient for all these things.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: normandy

<<I'd go to Bayeaux for the night (...) You could see the Bayeaux Tapestry...>>

Good tips, but just for ensuring successful searches over the Internet, note that that it's spelled 'Bayeux'

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,693 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: normandy

oops -- no excuses either as I've been there Bayeux Tapestry --

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: normandy

Janet, I'm frequently wanting to insert the same "a" in Bayeux!"

Brianxl, the overnight could be perfect for your trip to the DDay sites. Your port is likely to be LeHavre, and as public transportation isn't the best in this part of France, you will probably need to rent a car and drive to Bayeux. You may see day trips offered by the cruise line, but as Janet describes, the overnight in Bayeux and a full day tour from one of the guides based in Bayeux is the way to go. The tours end at around 6 pm, so make sure this works with driving back to LeHavre and your ship's departure. The links on this post might be helpful, and ignore the parts about traveling from Paris and renting a car in Caen. Before traveling to Bayeux, you might be able to swing by Honfleur on you first day.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k5174…

Just really look hard at when the tours end and your ship departs. You'll need time to return your car, so this might be tight.

8. Re: normandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:17