We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daylight hours in Paris end of November

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Daylight hours in Paris end of November

I'm planning a trip to Paris in the third week of November, and plan to walk to many destinations.

Fir instance I am staying the the 1st arrondissement near the Louvre and plan to walk with my 9 year old daughter to the Champs Elysees, (especially to enjoy the Christmas Markets)

I have heard that at that time of year there is limited daylight hours. Can someone please advise of what time it starts to get dark during the end of November and by what time it is extremely dark (pitch black).

I am not a seasoned traveller at all, and as a female with a young daughter in tow, I am quiet apprehensive about walking on our own. I am trying to plan our itinerary around the possible useable daylight hours.

Many Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daylight hours in Paris end of November

If it makes you feel any better, you're staying in a very lively area. You'll have plenty of people around you, even if you do walk after dark. You'll be perfectly safe. Even when it's dark outside, there will be lots of light from street lights and shop lights.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daylight hours in Paris end of November

Expect sunset in late November to be around 5pm and dusk about 5:30pm. Other factors such as cloud cover and/or precipitation can also affect available sunlight. Dress warmly, it will probably be cold as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,091 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daylight hours in Paris end of November

we have spent many Novembers and some Decembers in Paris. I have never worried about walking alone before midnight in central tourist areas. the metro is full of people. the streets are full of people. you should have no hesitation about strolling the Christmas market or in the area near the Louvre with your daughter. violent crime is just not an issue in central Paris and the streets are full of people. most restaurants are not even open for dinner before 7 (and they tend to be fairly empty till 8 or later) you can always get an early dinner at a brasserie with continuous service, but it would be a shame to cower in your room after 5 every day. you should feel comfortable walking by the Christmas windows of the big department stores, strolling by the river (on the street level, I would avoid the banks below where the occasional drunk hangs out), on the Champs. one of my favorite strolls is to walk up the Christmas market from Concord and then turn left between the Grand Palais and Petit Palais (the Clemenceau metro stop) and walk across the Pont Alexandre (that very fancy bridge in Midnight in Paris) if you time it for the top of the hour when the Tower is sparkling it is a stunning walk.

another fun thing to do is to take an evening cruise on the Seine; be sure to dress very warmly but it is beautiful to see the city lit up from the water

Seriously, in this central busy area, you can comfortably walk with your daughter until fairly late in the evening without worries.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 15:31
los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daylight hours in Paris end of November

I love to walk in Paris, and have done this extensively in mid-November. It's hard to predict what the weather will be like--you could definitely have rain and cold, but just go prepared for that. I have used a great little walking guide book called "Insight Guides: Paris Step By Step," and I suggest you get it. It has wonderful self-guided walks for many areas of Paris. If the weather is acting up, you can take a short one. If the weather is cooperative, you can combine several walks into a longer exploration.

What is the intersection (nearest cross streets) of your lodging? The 1st arr is definitely convenient and central, but also large and with lots of diversity. So if you specify, you can get helpful suggestions for walks, restaurants, etc., in the area of "your" specific neighborhood in the first.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daylight hours in Paris end of November

Just wanted to say "thank you" so much to all the helpful, positive and informative responses that you have all posted. I certainly feel much better now that so many of you have described the vibrancy and action late at night.

I feel more confident in editing my itinerary to now include independent night activities, as I had prviously decided to be in my hotel room by dark.

Feel free to continue posting if others have good ideas/suggestion. I am near the intersection of Rue Saint-Honore & Rue Cambon. About a 5 minute walk from Place Vendome and about a 10 minute walk from Le Louvre.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daylight hours in Paris end of November

I'm glad you have scheduled evening activities. You will be fine!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,091 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daylight hours in Paris end of November

a couple of possible night activities include doing the Louvre and d'Orsay in the evening. The Louvre is open till 9:30 on Weds and Friday and the d'Orsay on Thursday. That leaves daylight for outdoor strolls and such if the weather is nice.

Lucky you taking a 9 year old to Paris for the first time; it is a wonderful town for kids. We took our daughter the first time when she was about 10 -- be sure to climb the tower at Notre Dame even though there will be a long line -- have her look at the Disney Hunchback of NOtre Dame before you go so she remembers the gargoyles that star in the movie.

Another thing we did was purchase a fancy pastry each day from whatever bakery or pastry shop we were near. We ate them for an afternoon snack, but you could also plan to have them when you return to your room (drop them off during the day) My daughter loved choosing them.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daylight hours in Paris end of November

Is the Louvre usually busy on the nights it is open late?

Sarastro: Should we expect sunset to also be at 5pm & dusk at 5:30pm at the very end of Oct & beginning of November as well?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daylight hours in Paris end of November

Jewllz M. I just realized I asked a similar question about sun down in the Brussels forum! To other posters, please disregard my question about sundown in Paris.

Here is a link for the times in November for Brussels but you should be able to find it for Paris:

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

10. Re: Daylight hours in Paris end of November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:19