We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

Malaysia
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

We are seniors and planning to visit Paris.

We will be staying around Galerie Lafayette area

Planning to purchase 2 days Hop On Hop Off Bus

Not sure whether is it necessary to buy Paris Pass or direct online ticket

to visit Lourve and Versaille.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

You don't need the Paris Pass--that is just a bundle of various passes with a surcharge attached.

You will need to take the RER C (train) to Versailles, but you can buy your RER ticket on the day you go.

You can go online to buy your entrance ticket to the Louvre and to Versailles. It will enable you to skip the ticket line, but depending upon the time you arrive at these sites, there may be entrance lines formed. (And for Versailles, a security line). It is not necessary to have pre-purchased tickets, however. You may purchase tickets on site. (Recommend to get there early so the ticket line will be shorter.)

Have a great time in Paris.

Edited: 14 September 2013, 15:30
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

The Paris Pass is not good value and not something I recommend getting. There is not enough time to do enough of what's included to cover its cost.

But the Paris Museum Pass might be of interest, if you intend to visit Versailles and several other sites ..have a look at what's included. And, there is no need to buy it in advance and pay shipping fees -- it's readily available in Paris.

http://en.parismuseumpass.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,021 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

The HoHo buses are good for getting an introduction to Paris, but are not suitable to use as public transport getting from one place to another. There can be a long wait for the next bus, and they take indirect routes. For getting around Paris, it would be more efficient and less expensive to use the Metro and ordinary buses.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

There is a security line at the Louvre as well, and it's usually the only major line there is (the ticket machine line usually isn't very long).

The online Louvre tickets are a tremendous hassle. I do not recommend. You do not print them out online and take them with you, instead you go to some store somewhere away from the Louvre and waste pressure time in getting the tickets, when you could have already been inside the Louvre (and for the same price). In fact, you'll probably pay some sort of transportation to get to one of the stores where the tickets are located unless they've very recently changed the system and I believe they have not:

http://www.louvre.fr/en/advance-tickets

Just pick them up at the Louvre. If you decide you want a museum pass for Versailles because there could be a line there (much more likely than at the Louvre) then just buy one at the Louvre.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
96 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

I'm not sure I would by a 2 day hop on hop off pass, one day is probably enough just to ride around and see some sights. Also, the Batobus is like a hop on hop off except it is on a boat on the Seine and takes you by several main attractions The metro system is very easy to get around. I believe I bought my tickets to the Louvre at Gare de l'est or Gare du Nord. Visitors Center I think you can buy the museum pass there also.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,079 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

Robin,, the two day pass is only a few more euros then the one day pass.. and with four routes to cover, the two days are needed to give you enough time to be able to actually jump off at a few stops and spend a bit of time at them.. for 3-4 more euros... get the two day pass. There are two main HOHOs.. the bright green and yellow L'Open Tour bus has more stops and routes,, so is the better deal in my mind.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,079 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

Tickets for Louvre and Versailles, well if on a weekday, Versailles is 18 euros and Louvre is 12 euros.. so thats

30 euros,, a two day Museum pass is 39 euros... so its not a bad deal because you can do a few other things on the day you visit Louvre,, you can walk up the Champs Elysees from the Louvre and visit the Arc De Triomphe,, thats 9.5 euros.. so right there you came out ahead!! Plus you have had the abiltiy to skip lines,, you could also visit Orsay Museum , thats 9 euros.. if you can handle that much museuming in a day .. ( which if you go on a day one of the museums is open late can work ,, with a break for lunch and dinner out) ..

Malaysia
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

Thank you for the advise. We are not very keen to take the Metro after hearing a lot of pickpockets on the train.

That is one reason we rather buy a 2 day Hop On Hop Off. First day we will take the Hop On Hop Off to view all the sights provided then on the second day we will make all the stops. Since we are staying in the 19 arrondissent the opera area walking to sights not covered by Hop on Hop off should be easier apart from Versaille.

9. Re: Need advise to visit Museum Louvre and Versaille

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:15