We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Wentworth Falls, NSW
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

My wife & I (Australians) wish to make a short stopover in Paris (3-4 days) on our European holiday next year.

Our l government travel advisory website (smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…France) warns that crime is rife in Paris i.e muggings and robberies on trains and near tourist attractions. It really does sound like New York of old (sorry to US readers) or present-day Nairobi.

It is really that bad? Can fellow travellers offer us some sage advice? (We are a middle-aged couple with long-haul luggage i.e. >23kgs each).

1. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 11:08
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

'It is really that bad?'

No.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

You could read one of the 'sticky' threads on top of the first page of this board, tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k46911… , as well as the trip reports, and you'll have plenty of opinions and infos from TA members.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,025 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Any form of physical attack is very unlikely: far less likely than in Kings Cross on a Saturday night. There is always the possibility of a pickpocket, but this is not a physical attack.

Many millions of tourists visit Paris every year, and the great majority of them have no problems at all.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Dear OP,

the link you provide doesn't mention either robbering nor mugging.

Yours sincerely,

A surviving parisian

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Bienvenue, it's under the Safety and Security tab. Be forewarned, it reads as a travel guide to Mogadishu.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

The Smartraveller website is useful if you're planning on going (or find yourself being sent) somewhere with a lot of political unrest. With regards to places where tribal warfare, military coups, civil wars, and nerve gas attacks are not common occurrences, (like France), I think it's of less value in terms of highly specific advice, though the advice it does give is generally noteworthy, even if most is "common sense".

The problem is, most of the information/advice is fairly generic. (don't get involved in protests, watch out for petty crime, etc). This inevitably leads to a pretty pessimistic view of the intended destination.

The company I work for has a similar database for its employees, and it makes Australia sound only marginally safer than Syria.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

I've been travelling to Paris for over 40 years. I have never had a problem (touch wood!). Just be sensible and don't do anything OS that you wouldn't do at home.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Just know how to secure your cards, cash, passport, cell phone, camera, etc. and don't be careless with any of that, and you'll be just fine.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,044 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

And what is highlighted in green at the top of that government travel advisory website page?

'Exercise normal safety precautions'

'Nuff said