We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wentworth Falls, NSW
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

My wife & I (Australians) wish to make a short stopover in Paris (3-4 days) on our European holiday next year.

Our l government travel advisory website (smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…France) warns that crime is rife in Paris i.e muggings and robberies on trains and near tourist attractions. It really does sound like New York of old (sorry to US readers) or present-day Nairobi.

It is really that bad? Can fellow travellers offer us some sage advice? (We are a middle-aged couple with long-haul luggage i.e. >23kgs each).

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Frankly, people who come to Paris from "small town France" are just as scared as people who come from halfway around the world. Everybody sees the same sensationalist news reports and they are happy to believe the worst because makes where they themselves are living seem even nicer.

NC
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Dear OP - I've been here for a week now and seen nothing like that description. Not one incident of any sort. Zero. I've seen one, literally, one petition girl who I simply walked past as she approached and she turned away. I've been on the train and metro numerous times each day, at some of the more "notorious" metro stops, and around several iconic tourist areas. I've been out walking the streets nearly all day, every day, all over the city, and have seen no hint of a problem. Now, my luck could certainly change any day, but for now, the alarmists seem like just that. I have no doubt unpleasant things happen, and urge everyone to use sensible precautions, but it's nothing anywhere remotely like "rife with muggings and robberies", at least not that this one person has seen.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

I think wirewiper summed it up. It says 'Exercise normal safety recautions' on our own government website.

You've got a higher chance of getting attacked on the steets of Katoomba on a Friday night.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 17:17
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

I hav ebeen to Paris 8 or 9 times and never had a problem. I have encountered petition girls who were pushy but I ignroed them.

I have also lived in NY for over 40 years. I got mugged once, but generally it is very safe here.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

I imagine that the website gives very similar advice for all major cities in Europe.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

<<I imagine that the website gives very similar advice for all major cities in Europe.>>

Indeed. I didn't check strictly word by word but the advice are very similar for Germany, UK, Italy and Belgium !

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

As for the threats of terrorism....nothing new there..this has been going on since the late 60s with the then brand new separatists groups. At one time my trips from Canada to France had to include London, where there were also threats and, as in Paris, the odd explosions..

Going to department stores meant opening your bag wide before coming to the store doors, to speed up the security checks...

I used to sit in the back of coffee shops and restaurants, least someone on a motor bike fire at the people on the terrace and behind the windows..

Feel better now??

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

no - I was in Paris for 5 days last month & had no problem at all.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

No - the Govt is just covering their backs (I was going to use a more colloquial expression that you will know).

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Governments always make travel abroad sound scary, in part out of a natural preference for their own countries, and in part because it's their job to keep citizens safe abroad. But they exaggerate enormously. Just as lawyers will always warn against any business operation, and dentists will always warn of dire consequences if you don't floss three times a day.