We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Wentworth Falls, NSW
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

My wife & I (Australians) wish to make a short stopover in Paris (3-4 days) on our European holiday next year.

Our l government travel advisory website (smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…France) warns that crime is rife in Paris i.e muggings and robberies on trains and near tourist attractions. It really does sound like New York of old (sorry to US readers) or present-day Nairobi.

It is really that bad? Can fellow travellers offer us some sage advice? (We are a middle-aged couple with long-haul luggage i.e. >23kgs each).

Brisbane
Level Contributor
290 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
111. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Thanks PJHistor ... exactly my point :)

anyway, i am looking forward to visiting this very dangerous city in a few months, haven't been for a few years!

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
112. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

Thank you Sonneborberger and Janettravels44 and others who have shared real experiences. We are not alarmists but realists and pragmatists, and say it as it is. I took precautions and I was safe. Many others can too, but they have to be advised and not whitewashed. I still love Paris and hate the thievery and scams. The others who chose not to see them can remain as ostriches. No harm to me.

Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
113. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

My daughters and I just returned from Paris a few days ago. I cautioned them about things but all of us felt perfectly safe. The worst thing that happened was when a string man reached for my daughter's arm after she had told him no. She just kept walking and said no louder and he left. The petition girls approached several people but left after being told no. It was calmer than when I visited 3 years ago.

114. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 07:35
115. Re: Crime against tourists in Paris - is it REALLY BAD ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:15