We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay- Gare de l'Est/ Nord or Montmartre or 9th arr?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay- Gare de l'Est/ Nord or Montmartre or 9th arr?

My sister and I will be travelling to Paris for 3 days in mid Oct. I have done a bit of search online and shortlisted some hotels which are within our budget (i.e. 150 euro per night):

ibis Styles Paris Gare de l'Est Château Landon, ibis Styles Paris Pigalle Montmartre, Best Western Anjou Lafayette Opera, Best Western Montmartre Sacre-Coeur and Hotel Splendid Tour Eiffel (in the 7th arr which seems to be a nicer neighbourhood according to reviews). We initially thought that hotels near Gare de l'Est/Nord would be ideal as that's where we are taking the Eurostar. But comments online seem to show that the area is a bit dangerous, so we searched for hotels in some other districts as well. We are looking for a hotel situated in a safe and convenient location. Thanks a lot!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,005 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay- Gare de l'Est/ Nord or Montmartre or 9th arr?

The area around Gare du Nord is not the most attractive part of Paris, but it is not dangerous. Anywhere in the single-digit arrondissements will be safe and convenient. Any of the hotels you list would be fine.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay- Gare de l'Est/ Nord or Montmartre or 9th arr?

All of those areas are fine. The Gare du Nord/Gare de l'Est area has the advantage of being a huge transportation hub and it makes getting around the city a lot easier.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay- Gare de l'Est/ Nord or Montmartre or 9th arr?

I stayed for one night at a budget hotel very near the Gare de l'Est. It didn't feel dangerous, but agreed, it was not the most upscale, scenic neighborhood, but areas near train stations sometimes aren't. There was a metro stop right outside our hotel,which was extremely convenient. On a positive note, it was close to the Canal St. Martin, which had lots of restaurants and was pleasant.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,964 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay- Gare de l'Est/ Nord or Montmartre or 9th arr?

With a budget of 150 euro you should be able to find a more centrally located hotel.

I had luck finding a hotel for a friend using this website: france-hotel-guide.com/en/paris-hotels.php

Or you might try here: http://www.corailparishotel.com/

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay- Gare de l'Est/ Nord or Montmartre or 9th arr?

I agree with F1racegirl. We stayed at the Best Western Rive Gauche which is within your budget and so I am sure you will be able to find something more centrally located than the areas you mentioned.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay- Gare de l'Est/ Nord or Montmartre or 9th arr?

Thanks everyone for your comments, they have been really helpful! I finally booked a hotel in the 8th arr. as it comes witihin my budget with the Eurostar package!

7. Re: Where to stay- Gare de l'Est/ Nord or Montmartre or 9th arr?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:19