We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

I've had the misfortune of traveling through Chatelet Les Halles at busy morning rush hour dragging luggage with me to Orly Airport. Luckily I learn from my mistakes. So now I'd appreciate someone telling me if Lemoine or Jussieu are "busy" metro stops or are they do-able with luggage? I'm heading to Gare du Nord via line #7. Any words of wisdom here? I'd rather not learn another lesson the hard way like I did with Chatelet Les Halles. Thanks!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

They won't be as busy as Châtelet-les-Halles which is a particularly busy and hectic station but I am not sure they have escalators. Others might know.

It will also depend on what time you arrive and whether it's a school day or not since Jussieu is a university campus.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

If you look at a map of the metro system, you will see that both Chatelet les Halles and Gare du Nord are major hubs where several lines converge. By their very nature, there is always tourist traffic at these stations.

Again, if you look at a metro map, Cardinal Lemoine is on Line 10 whereas Jussieu is on both Line 10 and Line 7. You say that you intend to travel on Line 7 to Gare du Nord, so I'm not sure where Cardinal Lemoine station figures in your travels.

If I have interpreted my map correctly (and assuming you are taking Line 7), you will have to travel the long way round to Gare de l'Est and change there. Line 7 doesn't go through Gare du Nord.

Perhaps Mrs. French Mystique will correct me if I am wrong.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 16:04
London & Paris
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

From Cardinal Lemoine, it's line 10 to Odéon, then line 4 to Gare du Nord. You'll need to haul your luggage up/down stairs at both Cardinal Lemoine and Odéon. There are escalators at Gare du Nord, and line 4 is the closest line to the international trains (Eurostar/Thalys).

From Jussieu, it's line 7 to Gare de l'Est, then line 5 one stop to Gare du Nord. It's steps at Jussieu, but the interchange at Gare de l'Est is just a level walk across the island platform. Again, there are escalators at Gare du Nord. Jussieu will be busier than Cardinal Lemoine, but the easy change from line 7 to line 5 would swing it for me.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

Depending on your exact location I'd be tempted to walk to to either the Luxembourg or St. Michel RER B stops to get to Gare du Nord.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

RER B from Luxembourg on is often extremely jam packed during rush hour. we have been on it without luggage when you could hardly breath for being jammed in a tight block of humanity.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,957 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

Whenever the trains are full for the metro and RER and people cram on anyway, the next train a few minutes later is often nearly empty. And, if you board farther down the tracks, the cars will be less full.

California
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

Neither of these metro stops are nearly as crazy as Chatelet Les Halles--no worries! But there is no escalator at Cardinal Lemoine. Jussieu has escalators, and so does the nearby Pl. Monge metro stop (just a block or so from Cardinal Lemoine).

London & Paris
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

"Jussieu has escalators, and so does the nearby Pl. Monge metro stop "

Are they DOWN escalators, which is what tmynatt would want? (In my experience, down escalators are extremely rare at Métro stations.)

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

Oh my dear stupid me! I meant to say I'm heading to Gare de l'Est. That's why I said I was going on line #7. I know it's the long way around, but at least it's no change all the way from Jussieu to Gare de l'Est. I don't know why in the world I said I was heading to Gare du Nord. So sorry about that. But thank you for all of the nice replies.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 12:58
California
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cardinal Lemoine & Jussieu - Are they "Busy" metro stations?

Richard--I use the one at Pl. Monge almost daily when I'm in Paris and is definitely both up and down (you can double-check me on Google Street view--up on the left, down on the right). Jussieu, however, could very well be just up.