We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Rome

Roseville...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Paris to Rome

Looking for the most practical & economical way to get from Paris to Rome. If by plane, which airport & airline(s) would make the most sense? How about train? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Rome

I would recommend flying EasyJet from Orly to Rome FCO. RyanAir is about the same price, but they don't fly into and out of major airports.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 00:36
los angeles
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Rome

We recently got a very good deal on an open jaw flight (into Paris and home from Rome). This is because Delta, Air France, KLM, and Al Italia are now partners. So if you are going to start your trip in Paris, you can then fly to Rome on Air France and home from Rome on Al Italia, just as if you were buying a round trip fare. If you don't have good luck on the Air France website, then call Delta. The reps were so helpful, and I got a better deal by phone than on the website.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Rome

for intra European flight Easyjet or Vueling. We flew into Paris and out of Madrid this spring and flew Vueling to Seville from Paris. Last year we flew to Rome and out of Amsterdam flying form Pisa to Paris with Easyjet. The budget airlines are definitely the way to go price wise.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Rome

Thanks everybody! So helpful!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Rome

I agree about the budget airlines and just want to add to book early because the cheapest fares sell out quickly.

We flew Rome to Paris last month with Vueling for about €80 each including checked bags.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Rome

On the economy carriers, baggage is an issue, so make sure to pack light. But if you have multiple destinations, make sure to find out how much an extra stop is with a major carrier. You may be surprised.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Rome

the baggage limits on economy carriers are not significantly more stringent than on legacy carriers that cost 10 times more especially with a one way flight. When I was looking for my trip from Florence to Paris, I found that the cost was literally 10 times as much one way (and about 6 times as much buying a round trip and tossing the return ticket) What I found was that the luggage limits on Easyjet were perfectly adequate and the luggage charge if you booked it ahead of time was negligible -- I think I paid 12 Euro for my checked bag.

the limits on legacy carrier baggage are also much tighter in Europe than the US, so you don't gain much by booking them

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Rome

Paris to Rome is easy by train, and an adventure too.

Step 1, book a TGV from Paris to Turin from €29 at www.capitainetrain.com

TGVs leave the Gare de Lyon at 07:49, 10:41 and 14:41 daily.

There's no check-in, just hop on the train any time before it leaves, and you leave right from downtown Paris, not an airport miles outside.

It's a 186 mph high-speed run through France past pretty villages with picturesque churches, then you slow right down through Chambery and the French Alps to Turin.

Step 2, allow at least an hour to change trains in Turin, then book from Turin Porta Susa to Rome from €29 at www.trenitalia.com on one of their excellent 175 mph 'Frecciarossas'.

If you take the 07:49 or 10:41 TGV from Paris, you can reach Rome the same day, without going anywhere near an airport or having to leave the ground.

If you take the 14:41, I recommend lunch at the Train Bleu restaurant inside the Gare de Lyon before you leave, set lunch with wine €56, www.le-train-bleu.com . You'll need to overnight then in Turin, but it's a great city, I'd have a look round next morning before hopping on a fast train to Rome.

There's also a direct Pars-Rome sleeper train, from €35 with a couchette in 6-berth (simple flat sleeping berth with pillow and duvet), from €55 with a couchette in 4-berth, from €145 with a bed in a 2-bed sleeper with washbasin and light breakfast, book at www.thello.com with print-at-home tickets, but the day journey is undoubtedly higher quality.

9. Re: Paris to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 06:22