We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train and Accommodation tips in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore...
Level Contributor
60 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Train and Accommodation tips in Paris

Hi,

My wife, 4 year old kid and myself will be reaching at noon time at Paris Nord Station from Amsterdam (onward trip as a tourist from India). Will be staying for 2 days (close to 45 hours) and then have a train to catch in morning around 8 a.m. from Paris Gare Lyon to Luzern.

Need help for the following:

1) Where should we stay considering 2 different train station (arrival and departure)?

2) How should we commute between Paris Nord Station to Hotel and Hotel to Paris Gare Lyon Station? If by Metro, what the route numbers and platforms to note for? How much it cost?

Taking 2 Day Bus Tour ticket so that could cover the city with less hassles. Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards,

Shridhar

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,603 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train and Accommodation tips in Paris

1. Paris public transport is so good that you can stay wherever you like.

2. This is impossible to say without knowing exactly where you will be staying.

If you mean that you will buy a 2-day ticket for a hopon-hopoff bus, this is not a good method of transportation. The buses are not very frequent and take indirect routes so as to pass many sights. For getting around Paris, ordinary buses or the metro are much better choices.

You really really need to get and read a guidebook on Paris.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,091 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train and Accommodation tips in Paris

The area around Gare du Lyon is a nice area to stay with many restaurants and good transport -- but you can stay more centrally and with only two days that might be easier. Be sure to book a triple room; kids do not stay free in double rooms and you are likely to be turned away if you book one.

I would get a carnet of 10 ordinary metro tickets and perhaps a second child's carnet for your child -- which is half price. You won't use 10 probably for the child, but the discount probably makes it worth it.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,844 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train and Accommodation tips in Paris

Syndeynick,, no, I think he means he is purchasing a two day hoho pass because it will save him the hassle of trying to learn a new train system for a short visit , and it will take him by all major tourist sites easily.

Shridar,, I think that is a good idea,, as long as it is not rainy , since sitting up top is the best part of the hoho buses, it is nice to see each neighborhood as you pass through it from a higher vantage point. I recommend the L'Open Tour buses, they are bright green and yellow,, they have the most stops and 4 routes you may use .. this will take you by the most sites.

Frankly with a small child ( and I bet too much luggage, ) I would take a taxi to hotel, about 10-20 euros depending on where you stay.

I would just stay anywhere central and take taxi to Gare Du Lyon the day you leave.

The 4th, 5th and 6th arr. are all good.

What is your price limit for hotel per night in euros.?

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
60 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train and Accommodation tips in Paris

Thanks. You got my point. I thought of staying near Gaur de Lyon station so that need not rush on the morning of departure. How far would be the central tourist area from my departing station?

Regards,

Shridhar

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,603 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train and Accommodation tips in Paris

Gare de Lyon is at the south-east edge of the main area of interest to tourists.

6. Re: Train and Accommodation tips in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 06:19