We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update to the Cat Cafe...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Update to the Cat Cafe...

Yesterday was the "soft opening" - a chance for the kitties to try out the public. There was a very long line of people waiting to get a seat, so I went back this afternoon and stood in line for 30 minutes, looking through the window, before I called it a day (I have my limits, so went to the movies instead - the lines were much shorter there). This being Paris, people were playing the typical "cheat-the-queue" games, but got nowhere, since there was nowhere to go.

The Cat Cafe was full to capacity, as it was yesterday, and nobody seemed interested in leaving, though I saw lots of empty plates and glasses, etc. No one came around to remove them - or to encourage people to pay up and leave - so those same folks might well be sitting there at this late hour, still petting the kitties. I never even got a look at the food, since all I saw were crumbs.

I saw cats sitting in the window, cats wandering around, and even a few cats on laps at the tables where people were eating (which was one of the big "no-no" issues). I saw a couple of people try to pick up the kitties (another "no-no"), but the people working there shook their heads at that. There are supposed to be 12 cats "in residence", but I saw maybe half as many as that - though the rest could have been hiding. The couple of people who did leave looked happy. The people still standing in line looked a lot less so (A lot of them probably ended up in line behind me at the movies, or went home to do laundry).

I will try again, because the idea is a nice one - and the lady who runs the place is, too. But I think I will go on a miserably rainy day, and try to be the first one inside. It will be interesting to see which happens first - the place closes for lack of income, the prices increase drastically (to offset the lack of customer turnover), or the rumoured "mystery clients" will find some infractions and report to the Health Board (and no, I am not one of them!). I'll keep you posted...

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update to the Cat Cafe...

Fascinating! Would love to hear more.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update to the Cat Cafe...

Thank you for the update. You bring up some good points about turnover and income (or lack of both.) It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I would hope that they make it and clearly there are enough people hoping to pet, sit with, and just watch the kitties. But the price of doing business must be high with rent, upkeep of the health of the cats, etc., etc.

Can't wait to hear when you do get inside.

Paris
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update to the Cat Cafe...

I haven't been there yet, but here is a video from the local paper:

www.leparisien.fr/diaporama-videos/index.php…

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Update to the Cat Cafe...

Thanks!

Yes, quite a few reports in press/TV about this place.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Update to the Cat Cafe...

Thanks for this first report, patty! By any chance, did you see what kind of prices were on the menu? I'm wondering whether they are pushing prices up as compared to other cafés in the area to account for the extra cost, or whether they simply count on the additional, dedicated clients. (In comparison, neko cafés in Japan charge by the hour, usually the equivalent of 10 USD)

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update to the Cat Cafe...

I'm sneezing just reading this.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update to the Cat Cafe...

Thanks Frenchtwinkie for the video link. It was too short tho'

From the quick second I saw a chalkboard I couldn't read what items they're serving but I think I saw numbers like 8 & 9 which seems pretty inexpensive. Again, I don't know what the 8 or 9 Euros buys.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Update to the Cat Cafe...

Thanks for the update! Was planning on visiting during the Toussaint holidays but not if there is a line.

Parisix, from what I remember of their facebook page the lady was planning on charging 5 € for drinks I think.

In the meantime, no dining with kitties yet but this French bulldog (I think that's what they are called...?) spent half the meal resting her head on my lap at the restaurant tonight. Food, view and company were good but for me the highlight of the dinner was this cutie pie of a dog on my lap :)

http://i41.tinypic.com/13z4ll4.jpg

elizzie4000, 8 € rings a bell too, I think it was for the savory pies if I remember correctly.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 00:20
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update to the Cat Cafe...

MrsFM - what a cutie pie for sure! Awww

I'm really missing my cats right now :(

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Update to the Cat Cafe...

Oh I know, when I'm away from my cats, tortoises and hamster the only solace I get is being surrounded by animals. Half of my vacation photos are of cows and horses! Most places we stay at the local cat or dog comes to visit and sometimes sleep with us. This past summer it was a horse we had for a neighbor, he was so sweet.