We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best tour guides?

florida
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best tour guides?

There are so many guides mentioned on Trip Advisor, I'm wondering how ones chooses.

My husband and I are early 80's, healthy, and haven't been to Paris in 50 years. We're eager to have another go, but at this stage, we prefer not to "wing it" as we have on past vacations. We'll also need transfer services and such. We're hoping to have a great guided tour of Paris one or two days, and then get out to Giverny (not on our own) and perhaps Versailles.

We're hoping to spend 5 days in Paris.

How does one choose a guide/transfer service?

Thanks!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best tour guides?

In Paris you really don't need a transfer service. A taxi from the airport will be more reliable than any transport service.

Can you give us more information about what kind of tour you are looking for and how much you are willing/hoping to pay?

florida
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best tour guides?

Thanks for prompt reply.

Can you tell me, please, approximately how much a taxi would cost from airport? Actually, we'll be disembarking from a cruise in Monte Carlo, and I'm not sure whether it makes more sense to take train or plane to Paris, cost-wise and convenience-wise.

The kind of tour we're looking for doesn't need to be by private guide. We'd like a good orientation tour our first day (or first two days). There seem to be so many groups offering this kind of thing.

We'll also be wanting to visit Giverny, so we'll need a company that does tours outside the city.

Since I've only just starting thinking about this, I have no idea what prices are for these sorts of things. But I do know that the quality of tours varies greatly, and that excellence is not always related to cost (though sometimes is).

Thank you.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best tour guides?

From Nice I'd prefer taking the train to Paris. If booked 3 months in advance ticket prices are in the 30-40 euro range. I think this is much more relaxing than taking a flight, and the door to door time is about the same. The train arrives at Gare du Lyon in paris. from there you could take a taxi to your hotel.

In Paris you can use the HOHO bus to see the main sights, getting off at whatever location interests you. But, the city busses are a great way to get around too. Or you could try one of the Foxity tours.

There are many companies that offer guided walks in Paris. I enjoyed my walk with a Paris Greeter. These walks are led by volunteers at no charge, but a donation to the organization is encouraged.

If you check the "Things to Do" Link you might find some tours that interest you.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best tour guides?

For Giverny, see ParisCityVision for "small group" (minivan and hotel pick-up and drop-off versus giant coach)

http://www.pariscityvision.com/en/giverny

But, Giverny, if you want/need to economize, can be easily reached and visited on your own

http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/visitgb.htm

florida
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best tour guides?

Thanks to both.

When I read through "Things To Do" (even before I posted here), there appeared to be so many tour operators-- difficult to sort through. I'm hoping to get feedback here from people who know a number of the operators and know which ones are best.

p.s. How lovely it must be to live in new Hampshire and be a destination expert for Paris! Lucky you!

6. Re: best tour guides?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 05:17