We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timers in Europe

PRETORIA
5 posts
Save Topic
1st timers in Europe

We have our itenary as follows: 21 - 23 Dec: Paris ; 24 - 26 Dec : Venice and 27 - 29 Dec : Milan.

We are planning of using trains fron Paris to Venice on the 24th and train from Venice to Milan on the 27th. Otherwise we' ll use shuttles whilst in the area.

please advice if it's well planned? We want the trip to be memorable. Advise also on key places to visit in those areas.

Miss T

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timers in Europe

I'm not sure what you mean by using "shuttles". I've been to all of these cities and am not familiar with any shuttles.

You might want to check easyjet for a cheap fliight from Paris to Venice. Flying may be cheaper than the train. Either way, you need to book this in advance.

To determine the "key" places in each location I would suggest that you get a guidebook for each city and decide what interests you. We have no idea what you would like to see.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timers in Europe

You have three major cities planned in one week?? Ridiculous. You lose a day every time you move. That basically leaves you one day in each city. Crazy...

PRETORIA
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timers in Europe

By shuttles i refer to taxis or cabs.

Ok, so flights will be cheaper? We tnought of a scenic trip by train. I am more interested in shopping and dining.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timers in Europe

No idea about Venice and Milan but the bus and metro systems are probably your best bet in Paris. Considering the extremely short time (basically one full day) you have in each city, you don't want to lose any of it scouting for taxis. Unless your hotels are already booked, I would also seriously consider going to a maximum of two (read, in fact one) cities for such a short time, especially if you are arriving from JNB on the morning of 21st, jetlagged and tired.

As for transportation, in case you absolutely want to stick to this whirlwind plan, you should indeed check a cheap flight via Orly at least; days are at their shortest this time of the year, so the train scenery would be in part lost to dusk / dawn anyway.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timers in Europe

3 cities in a week is a lot. I've done it before and have no regerts. But try not to travel like this any more because you loose so much time when you move around. I'd probably add more time to Paris and possibly skip Milan. I saw what I wanted to in a day and a half in Milan and have no strong urge to return.. But I'd like to go back to Venice and spend more time in the areas away from the tourist hordes.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timers in Europe

Bonjour, Tobogo,

If this is the trip that you want to take, then, by all means, do it. However, be aware of the limitations this itinerary will place on you. For example, I'm not sure about the time difference between Pretoria and Paris, so I don't know whether or not you would have jet lag on your first day. Consider F1racegirl's advice to take an EasyJet flight to Venice, as train from Paris>Venice is about 11 hours, with transfers. Also, depending on the location of your hotel, getting from the airport/ train station to the hotel adds another time factor. In addition, you'll have to be very sure about what you want to do and the transportation systems of the cities in order not to waste time.

Bonne chance!

MrsJAS

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timers in Europe

<<please advice if it's well planned? We want the trip to be memorable>>

Well planned? No. Memorable? Surely, but not necessarily good memories. You might get to one or two "key places" if you're lucky.

Paris
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timers in Europe

You are planning to be in Venice over the Christmas holiday, when many places will be closed. It is usually very cold and often very wet there at that time of year, with frequent flooding (aqua alta). However, it is a magical city. Milan is not nearly as stunning for a first-time visit to Italy.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st timers in Europe

do yourself a favor and spend the week in Paris. This is a lousy time of year for Venice especially on a holiday when things are shut down. Milan is so not worth the effort when you only have one day for it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st timers in Europe

This is your first time to Europe. I'm not sure you've considered that, each time you move to another city, you lose the entire day, not part of the day, the whole day, to packing, checking out, taxi to train station/airport, the flight/train ride, taxi to hotel, check in, unpack.

You see, it's not as though you've left yourself any time to actually visit these places. One day in a major city cannot be considered any time at all.

Please do yourself a favor and rethink this. MrandMrsJAS, the OP is asking if this is a well thought out plan. I think you're doing them a disservice by encouraging it.