We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to see besides paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
11 posts
Save Topic
what to see besides paris?

I have been to Paris once before and seen the sights (plus Versailles) I have a 7 day trip planned to France, ending in Paris for the last 3. Where should I go before Paris? I haven't been anywhere but Paris and would like to see one or two other places before heading to Paris and then home. Any suggestions? Lyon? Bordeaux? Loire VAlley? Anything??

Essex
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to see besides paris?

Where do YOU want to go?

Why are you bothering with this trip?

There MUST, surely be something/where that you have heard of, that has piqued your interest?

I reckon you can answer your own question, if you put your mind to it.

Otherwise go to another country that interests you more and do not waste your money.

Edited: 08 October 2013, 21:31
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what to see besides paris?

Read a guidebook. Read several guidebooks. Go online and look there. Seek and find what interests you.

I'm afraid our crystal ball enthusiasts are all out tonight.

Chicago, Illinois
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what to see besides paris?

never mind. I just thought some people on this forum had been to other places besides Paris and was wondering where their fav places were. Something might catch my interest and I will do some searching, but I see you have an attitude. Thanks, but no thanks for your information.

Chicago, Illinois
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what to see besides paris?

I will read the guidebooks. no brainer of course. Everything in France interests me but with only four days outside of the city, I was wondering what others thought.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
291 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to see besides paris?

busyboddie, I imagine you're not so much asking others to tell you what to do, but perhaps wondering if others might say "I especially liked [fill in city/area/activity] because... [fill in the rest] -- thus prompting some ideas that sound interesting to you that you might further research. If so, and while awaiting some thoughts, have you peeked through the France Things to Do page at tripadvisor.com/…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to see besides paris?

I'd like to stress that the date of your planned travel is also quite important since weather plays quite a important role to help you decide. For example, during winter and until Easter it would make more sense to go South and/or visit towns like Marseilles or Bordeaux, rather than going to the country side or to Normandy beaches. These are only quick examples to encourage you to give more info so that TA members could help you more efficiently.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,807 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to see besides paris?

4 nights is 3 days -- not much time

you could train to Strasbourg and spend one day in Strasbourg and then rent a car for a couple of days and explore the wine road or spent one day visiting villages of the Alsace and one on the Rhine. The stretch near Strasbourg is full of castles and there are boat trips of 3 or so hours that are lovely on the Rhine.

you could head for Tours and join tours of chateaux of the Loire or get a car and drive around visiting this area.

you could head for Burgundy and do something similar.

you could head for Amsterdam on the Thalys and spend a few nights there before heading back

you could train to Bayeux and get a car and visit the Normandy beaches, Mont St. Michel and perhaps Honfleur and Etretat

any of these would be great. we had a spare 5 nights last October and trained to Caen, got a car and drove to Mont SM, spent one night, then drove to Bayeux for two nights and then Honfleur for two nights before heading back.

We have spent a week in Burgundy, in the Dordogne, and 4 nights in the Loire and 4 nights in Provence a couple of times. All good. Just pick the one that appeals and go for it.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to see besides paris?

My biggest problem with your question is to determine where could I suggest....

I've been to France close to 15 times and up until now, there isn't one single trip, not a single region I didn't like. Maybe a little less Champagne for me and some parts of Northern France.

So you only have 4 days to visit somewhere else before heading back to Paris ? Is that it ?

Will you be renting a car or only taking public transportation ?

It will help to give you better options

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
291 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to see besides paris?

We thoroughly enjoyed a couple days in Caen, a lovely and quieter town than Paris and a perfect springboard for visiting the Normandy beaches and memorials.

California
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to see besides paris?

Trips we've really enjoyed: The Loire--lovely area and we've only scratched the surface of seeing the chateaus there, so we will probably go back this month. Lyon--love the Mediterranean influence in this area, great food, great wandering. Normandy--have spent minimal time up there, but loved it and it's begging for more exploration.