We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip advice: London To Paris

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Quick trip advice: London To Paris

I miss this forum. The regular contributors may remember that I went to Paris last year on a short trip and then had another trip booked but had to cancel due to our dog being diagnosed with a serious condition. We never travelled for longer than 3-4 nights even when he was well, so after a very grim diagnosis of a 6 months to live, max, we cancelled everything (had great support in this forum from people who were/had been in similar situations).

So... my dog is still around. :) A year after he collapsed. He's now 14. No more episodes.

And having committed our year to him (not going anywhere), we feel we need to charge batteries, even if it's a 3 day (2 nights) escapade. People can say we can travel within our country, but frankly, where we are it'll take longer to travel by car than escaping by plane to Europe (as airport is just an hour away).

That said, psychologically this is a bit scary (the "what ifs"). We know we won't get much of a rest but just a change of air seeing places we love would be great.

The idea is flying to London late November (would like to see it with a Xmas atmosphere) and arriving early. Have an easy day there: stroll, go to a couple of shops, visit a couple of parks, see a friend...

Next day take train to Paris after lunch. We won't have time to fill the gap of things we didn't do last year in Paris. Hope to experience Paris with Christmas lights, as well. See Luxembourg Gardens and just stroll and relax for the day the fly back home on an afternoon flight (actually, there's only one available, so no choice - back at 3.45pm from Orly).

Do you guys think this is doable, as in not too crazy? Would it be better to fly to London and then back home and then to Paris another week and back home? (This is both a travel question and a pet owner question to other pet owners who might have "been there"). Merci! :)

Luxembourg Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Architectural Buildings, Gardens
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,960 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip advice: London To Paris

So happy your dog is recovered and doing well! I think your plan is both doable and crazy ;-)

If you want to rest, it's definitely not going to work. But if you just want to get a mental break and have some fun, I love these types of adventures.

Can you add a night to London? It's a great city, and will be nice.

If you can travel very very light (ie 1 daypack each), this will make your life easier.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip advice: London To Paris

Totally doable, but obviously a bit too short even if you are not coming from all that far away.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip advice: London To Paris

I remember the story about your dog and I am so pleased that you still have him.

As to what you do about taking a break, I think only you can decide. He seems to be stable so maybe you could make this trip but only if you are not going to worry yourself silly checking up on if he is alright all of the time that you are away.

Having been in your shoes, I can see how you could be torn but if it was me I would stay with my dog. That is what I chose to do with my elderly dog and I am so pleased I did. He was put to sleep in May and I am so grateful that I spent so much time with him.In later years, days count nevermind weeks or months. As a dog lover, you will understand that and you have a tough decision to make.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick trip advice: London To Paris

Have you investigated going to the two cities in the opposte order. I mention this because of the different time zones and effectively you lose an hour in travelling fron London to Pars and gain one going in the opposite direction. Leaving London after lunch means that it is late afternoon or even early evenin by the time you get to Paris. If you have an early lunch in aris, you can get to London by mid-afternoon, on the clock.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick trip advice: London To Paris

First of all, bevhicklin, I am so sorry you no longer have your dog. :( I hear what you're saying regarding not leaving him but we made that commitment and now we feel we could have travelled a lot this year as he went back to his normal self (well, he did have a couple of issues and a minor operation but totally unrelated to the heart condition). He'd be with "grandma" at home while we go, pet sitter "on call" for emergencies and vet aware we're away... but I'd be lying if I said I won't be checking on him.

I'm considering getting an EasyJet Flexi fare so travel plans can be altered and we can head home if we need to or alter plans if anything changes between now and then...

railtraveller65: great point! You're right!! Makes more sense! Thanks for that suggestion.

Edited: 13 October 2013, 15:28
6. Re: Quick trip advice: London To Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 06:36