We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
21 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

I've been doing a lot of looking around, and have been coming up frustrated.

Will be in France in July 2014. Landing at CDG, on a Wednesday,and have a Gite in Normandy rented startign on the Saturday. So, we want to spend 3 nights around Paris to see the sights.

We will have a car, and finding a hotel in Paris is expensive. Add 30Euros per day for car parking, and it really adds up. Looking to spend $150 per night for a place to stay, including parking and taxes.

So, I was considering staying in the outskirts of Paris where the chances of getting a less expensive hotel with parking are higher. We can park the car, and take in the Metro, or RER trains.

I've poured over booking.com and hotel.com and other sites, and am coming up frustrated. Is there a well-known area to stay with decent hotels right close to a Metro line? Im thinking Pontoise - since that is the C-line, and connects directly to the Tower. But, I suspect it might take a while to get into Paris?

Any suggestions?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

Why are you not ditching the car and just taking a train from Normandy into Paris? Then just book a hotel in Paris itself. There are hundreds, probably thousands, within close proximity to métro lines.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
21 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

We're driving around Normandy to see the sites there. So we need the car. But, I'll look into your idea.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

Well, sure, a car is good for Normandy, but why on EARTH would you drive it back to Paris and park it somewhere? Get rid of it in Normandy and take the train( cheap, if you know how to book trains in France - cheaper than driving) to Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

Why would you rent a car while in Paris? This makes no sense at all. Just take the train to Normandy and rent a car there.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

Yes, that would be the way to do it. From CDG, take public transportation to Paris. Stay in budget accommodations for 3 nights. Take the train to Normandy, and rent a car there.

If F1racegirl's plan makes sense to you, there are many budget hotels to choose from in central Paris. How many people are you trying to lodge? Do you have your lodging already in Normandy?

There is also a TA normandy forum, so you can get good advice about car rental and accommodation if you post your questions there as well.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,495 posts
880 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

I have done this same Normandy/Paris trip a few times and recommend that you take the train to Normandy and rent a car there. Return the car before you get back on a train to Paris and then find a hotel in central Paris (without the big hassle of trying to park and drive in Paris).

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

I agree. Go to Paris without a car and use a taxi to get to Paris fron CDG. Than take the train to Normandy and then rent a car. I have been to Paris a lot and have never had a car. I have then rented one outside of Paris to see sites. It isn't that difficult.

Although I might getting it backwards. Are you landing in CDG and then going straight to Normandy without going to Paris first? If that's the case there are better ways of doing it without having a car in Paris. Which is not a good idea to pay to park a car that you'll not use while in Paris.

It would be best to clarify your trip itinerary a bit more - in order of where you are going.

US
Level Contributor
470 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

Elizzie4000

I believe the OP will be in Paris for 3 days before going to Normandy, from Wed to Saturday.

Edited: 15 October 2013, 06:09
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

So the OP should either pick up a car when leaving Paris and drive to the D-day area, or take a train to Caen and pick up a car there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,552 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have Car - where to stay in Paris. Maybe on outskirts?

Stay in Paris proper without a car. Not the outskirts.