We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days would you recommend for Paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,247 posts
523 reviews
Save Topic
How many days would you recommend for Paris?

I went to Berlin this past Sep/Oct for 6 days and enjoyed everything about it especially the museums and ww ii history. I've never been to anywhere else in europe and was thinking between Paris, London, Amsterdam and Istanbul. But for the sake of conversation if I only picked one venue to go to, what is the absolute minimum amount of days needed for Paris for a history buff?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,519 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days would you recommend for Paris?

There is no minimum nor maximum. Visiting Paris cannot be compartmentalized into a set number of days.

The better question is: ¨How much time do you have?¨ Whatever your answer is, that will almost be enough.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days would you recommend for Paris?

A month would be great. Seven to ten days would be good.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days would you recommend for Paris?

How long is a piece of string? and how much time have you got? I have been going to Paris for years and never tire of it and always find something new and interesting. I too am a history buff. History has been going on for hundreds of years and is still evolving, so it would take that long to take it all in.

So I know this is not really helpful, but there really is no answer to your question. If you enjoyed 6 days in Berlin then you must realise there is so much of German history you did not cover.. But I would say 6 day is a taster for what Paris has to offer.......and hopefully you will want to come back for more.

I would also say this for London, Amsterdam and Isatanbul.

Take your time and savour it.

Denise

Love from England.

Level Contributor
7,915 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days would you recommend for Paris?

you asked for a minimum to be able to cover the highlights and get a sense of the history...i would say 4 nights...that is minimum...more is better.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days would you recommend for Paris?

If you were in Berlin for 6 days and found that a good amount of time for you, I would say that you should shoot for the same amount of time in Paris, perhaps a tad longer. If you are thinking about a larger chunk of time (2 full weeks), then london, paris, and Amsterdam make an "easy" combination by train. Fly into London and spend 5 to 6 days, take the Eurostar to Paris and spend 5 or 6 days, and take the Thalys train to amsterdam for the remaining 2 to 3 days. Fly home from Amsterdam--don't waste time on a round trip. You could do the reverse as well: Amsterdam to Paris to London, then home.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days would you recommend for Paris?

I have to say a lifetime is not long enough....but a week will do if you have vacation. Paris is incredible.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,123 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days would you recommend for Paris?

I would not do a first trip to Paris in fewer than 5 nights -- but at least a week to ten days would be better. Paris is a good base for day tripping so by staying for 10 nights for example, you'd have a good chance to do a couple of out of town trips like Versailles or Chartres or Giverny -- or one of dozens of other great towns and cities in the region.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days would you recommend for Paris?

I would never consider anything less than a week to be sufficient for a first trip to Paris. A month would be preferable. If you're interested in getting a handle on the history of Paris, maybe a few years. Give it as much time as you possibly can.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,850 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days would you recommend for Paris?

I have been to Paris many times, my shortest visit was 9 days long, and I had a friend along who had never been to Europe at all.. she agreed, 9 days was too short!

Of course you can spend much longer and still not see everything.. rush through a few museums in a few hours etc. but if you enjoy museums, and history in general, you have little danger of running of things to do and see in minimum of a week.

If you do go to Paris be sure to visit the Invalides Army Musuem,, its excellant. I will also suggest you include a visit to the Shoah( Holocaust) Museum.. very moving.

Paris is an excellant transportation hub of course, so there are many daytrips you can easily do.. and then of course there is the Thalys to Amsterdam ( 3 hrs) and the Eurostar to London (2.5 hrs).. easy city center to city center options.. and the prices for these tickets can be very reasonable if you book far enough in advance.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days would you recommend for Paris?

As long as you can afford to stay ! But, for me, no less than 7 days.