We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pink Chicken

Level Contributor
203 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Pink Chicken

Headed to Paris in August. I just finished reading a chapter of a book on Paris restuarants. One point that jumped off that page was that, according to the book, chicken is typically served only lightly cooked and pink in the center. Is this true? Are French chicken not subject to the salmonella threat that we have in the U.S.?

I am really looking forward to eating well in Paris. And I am an adventurous eater. But lightly cooked chicken is just something I can't fathom... what am I missing?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pink Chicken

Hi,

Not fluo pink but certainly still juicy and fleshy. Especially for duck.

You need not worry about salmonella in France.

If you insist that your poultry is well cooked, specify "à point" ( tricky to pronounce,

In IPA: /a pwɛ/ )

Cheers,

S.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pink Chicken

The ɛ vowel is nasalised, it should have a tilde over it, but for some reason it doesn't go through Firefox...

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pink Chicken

Pink Chicken?they can keep that! they also eat their duck that way because they say it's red meat.I think i will be a vegetarian for the 4 days i am there if thats the way they prepare their poultry.Crazy French people !

Level Contributor
701 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pink Chicken

I eat chicken all of the time in France and have never had it pink or under cooked. My French husband refuses to eat it if it is pink. Now steak is another story.

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pink Chicken

I've never seen 'pink' chicken In France. If the juices don't run clear than it's not cooked and therefore dangerous.

Duck is different and you'll be asked how well you like it cooked.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
804 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pink Chicken

"Pink chicken" is certainly not something acceptable here!!

I suggest you change of book then, obviously written by someone who has never been here.

A chicken not cooked enough should be sent back immediately to the kitchen.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pink Chicken

You are right, such is the prevalence of the pink chicken epidemic, that there are whole wards reserved to salmonella sufferers in Paris hospitals. They are as large as the ones dedicated to paranoid American tourists. But French doctors are doing a good job in both cases.

8. Re: Pink Chicken

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2006, 19:39
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pink Chicken

These preconceived notions are getting hilarious!! I have eaten chicken at least 15 times while in Paris and have never seen any rare chicken. This forum nearly always comes through with my daily chuckle...

paris
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pink Chicken

Wasn't your book about Paris USA ?

Because in France, chicken is typically deep cooked

The only pink chicken i ever saw in France (except at my aunt Odile's who is the worst cook in the universe and surroundings) was smoked chicken