We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals common in Paris? Closed toe Keens?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals common in Paris? Closed toe Keens?

I was wondering if tourists commonly wear sandals in Paris, especially closed toe ones like Keen makes?

I will probably go with more of a trendy tennis shoe/Mary Jane shoe that I can wear with skirts but I'm not sure hot it will be in early August?

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
1. Re: Sandals common in Paris? Closed toe Keens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2006, 19:35
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,212 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals common in Paris? Closed toe Keens?

Um, I didn't notice any more dog poo in Paris then any other city. In fact , every morning there were men out cleaning sidewalks, I thought it was a very clean city.

I wore sandals, I did make sure they had good foot support and coverage, there is dirt , and flimsy sandals don't give enough protection when walking on sometimes very uneven surfaces( cobblestones etc) . I would never wear flip flops there .

Paris in August can be roasting hot. At least it has been everytime I 've gone, mind you, I do have a low tolerance for heat then someone from a hot place( Australia, Calfornia or Southern States for instance)

Paris
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals common in Paris? Closed toe Keens?

Don't worry with sandals. You can even wear flip flops, no one will notice. I wear flip flops when the weather allows it.

louisville
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals common in Paris? Closed toe Keens?

The dog doo rumours mystify me- I did not notice any more than anywhere else. I prefer a closed toe because the city seems especially dusty and gritty to me in the summer- and the park paths are all gravel.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals common in Paris? Closed toe Keens?

I was in Paris in July one year and bought a pair of Mephisto sandals on sale at Galleries LaFayette (I think that's where). As did my sister. I wore them everywhere. Very good support and comfort. No one looked twice at us.

Level Contributor
767 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals common in Paris? Closed toe Keens?

I was in Paris this past June in the heat. Most of the time for distance walking, I wore comfort socks and either closed toe sandals with a sling back--low heeled or Mephisto walking shoes. For shorter distances where i needed less support, I wore open sandals also low heeled. My feet were cooler but I really could not walk my usual 3 miles in them. They were OK for one or so.

People had almost everything possible from flip flops to business shoes to very high heels ( on women) mostly. the French staff at our hotel wore sandals at times so I don't think they would mark you as a tourist. I never noticed any fashion police anywhere. As to dog poop or dirt, there was less than in most U.S. large cities so i would not worry about that.

But there are cobbles in places and the woman staying in our hotel room just before us did fall and break her foot. So it is important to be careful especially when looking at all the fascinating sights of Paris.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals common in Paris? Closed toe Keens?

I wore flip flops the first day and killed my feet.

Wore puma's for a few days finally my feet got used to the walking and was able to wear the sandles again.

i walked about 5 miles a day.

It was fine to wear sandles.

And dog poopie was not an issue. No more than anywhere else...and i was looking out for it after reading stuff on this site.

8. Re: Sandals common in Paris? Closed toe Keens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 03:19