We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

Hi

I know this is a strange request but... My husband and I are have booked to see my brother in Paris. Unfortunately he needs a visa and my brothers invitation letter need to be stamped by the embassy in France... or a reservation from a hotel before they will issue a visa...

We cannot do the letter option as we are running out of time so does anyone know of any hotels that will accept a booking which can be cancelled.

Thank you.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

You should post your question in Paris forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187147-i14-Pari…

Support Forum is for asking general questions on how to use TripAdvisor website, how to find things on it and how to use its many features.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

Most major hotel chains have fully flexible rates that allow cancellation in addition to cheaper advanced purchase rates that don't.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

Hi Saman313,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question on the TripAdvisor Support forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Paris forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

A chain like Accor hotels ( www.accorhotels.com ) has hotels and rates in every category that allow cancellation up until the day of arrival.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

Most hotels have cancellation policies (usually up to 2 days before arrival, sometimes 1 day, sometimes a week - it depends on their rules/model of doing business).

I don't think it's very good practice to make a reservation that you plan to cancel, but I understand your situation. This is of course why some reservations are non-cancellable.

Large chain hotels would be an option (and I suppose you could sweep it under the ethical rug a little easier with a large chain hotel, one hotel room more or less doesn't mean as much to them financially). You could even give them free advertising here by saying which one you chose.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
754 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

Most reservations made through booking.com can be cancelled.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,573 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

I have never booked a hotel that I couldn't cancel,, that does mean I cannot take advantage of the sometimes offered lower rates for paying up front. but I don't care.

Almost any hotel will offer a rate that allows you to cancel as long as its within a certain time limit, ranges from 24-72 hrs in advance. Simply choose a hotel and read the policies carefully.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

Will you be staying with your brother, or might you need to keep the hotel if the visa works out?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,766 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

That's because most major hotels offer the majority of the rate plans as cancellable. Booking.com rate plans are usually no different than reserving on the actual hotel website.

Usually, rates that cannot be modified or cancelled are cheaper than flexible rate plans.

>>>Most reservations made through booking.com can be cancelled.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris hotels that can be cancelled - Strange request I know

Booking.com often has the "last 2-3 rooms" from a property and indeed, nearly all are not only cancelable, but there is no reservation fee. So the hotel knows that people might book more than one place and make a decision later (and booking.com actually encourages this practice in several ways). I think the booking conformation they give you should suffice as proof of hotel reservations for this purpose.

You can indeed usually get the same rate from the hotel itself, but if you are sure you are going to cancel, you want an easy cancelation process (for me, it's an issue of having my credit card details on file various places - prefer not actually sending those details on to many properties if I can help it; have been charged despite cancelation within stated time limits, in the past - not in France, here in the U.S., but it can happen anywhere). Booking.com makes cancelation very easy. (And from personal experience, Expedia does not work as well).