We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Topic
Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

Bonjour!

I will be staying in the 20th and would like to take a nice walk on Xmas morning. Would like to go to either Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont. Also planning on going to Pere Lachaise on same morning.

Would like paved pathways and a nice view of Paris.

Does anyone recommend one over the other?

Merci!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,904 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

Buttes Chaumont would be my favoured park. It's bigger, more paths, and probably more people running etc (even on xmas morning). Neither really has a good view of "Paris" as the guidebooks would understand it, but Chaumont has a great view of Sacre Couer

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

It's really a personal preference. Buttes Chaumont feels more wooded whereas Belleville has a more structured and modern feel to it. Buttes Chaumont has a lot of fans but I don't like it much, I find it dark and oppressive. You won't really get a view of Paris from it.

I suppose I like Belleville better and from the very top of the park you will get a great view of the city.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

There are sneaky views of Paris from Les Buttes but you tend to fall upon them . the same from Pere Lachaise.

Would you not have time to do both parks?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

Well, the Parc de Belleville is the only park that is actually in the 20th arrondissement. I find it too narrow, but it does combine very well with a long walk in Belleville and up to rue des Pyrénées, which leads to Père Lachaise.

There has been quite a bit of work going on in certain parts of the Buttes Chaumont, but it is a big enough park that it isn't really a problem. The view from the belvedere at the top can be really spectacular on a nice day, but you might find the "paved pathways" there a bit challenging. For a flatter walk, there is always the Parc de la Villette nearby as well, It is perfectly paved and extremely popular due to all of the features that it contains. Nevertheless, on Christmas morning, you are likely to have any of these places almost completely to yourself.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

As Mrs FM stated in post 2, there are excellent views of Paris from the top of the Parc de Belleville next to the Maison de l'Air.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

Both are nice. I tend to prefer Buttes Chaumont, though.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

I hope in any case that if you are staying in the 20th -- perhaps the "upper" 20th, you will encounter some amazing views of lower Paris in numerous places even when you are not in a park.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

You can somewhat compare using Google images... Belleville is on a slope so definitely has a Paris overview. It is much smaller and has more of a planned, landscaped look to it (like the vined arbors, etc).... Buttes-Chaumont is also on a hill, so there are slopes but I don't remember seeing out over Paris from any of it. The elevated 'pagoda' thingie was closed off when we were there (this was a few years ago). Buttes-Chaumont didn't really 'speak' to me, we saw some evidence of drugs in one spot (trash on the ground), although the grassy slope where we took a rest was really nice and I think there was a pond at the foot of the slope as well as the walking path. My reception of the parc was also probably affected by the fact that this is where we headed as soon as we dropped our stuff off at the hotel on arrival day, and I learned that really what we like to do is hit something total obviously Paris!! so now we always head over to the Champs on arrival just to catch our travel breath and see that beautiful Iron Lady. Then, I know I am in Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

I took a walk with a Paris Greeter, starting at the Belleville metro, to Rue Denoyez, then we headed to Parc de Belleville, past Villa Castel eventually ending up at Pere LaChaise.

It made for a nice afternoon and I enjoyed the views from Parc de Belleville.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,800 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parc de Belleville or Parc des Buttes Chaumont?

Here is a walk we did that began at Parc Belleville and took in Butte Chaumont (with a metro ride in between -- not necessary, but since we were going to the Belleville market and then on to the Villas, we cheated a few blocks)

The view over Belleville is nice, but the park is not all that IMHO -- it is quite small compared to Butte Chaumont. But there are also interesting nearby neighborhoods.

…wordpress.com/2011/…