We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

We'll be traveling to Paris next summer and normally, I'd love to do a direct flight from NYC to Paris. However, I'm wondering if it may be less expensive to fly NYC to London and then take the Eurostar into Paris. Can anyone offer advice? Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

No one can predict what the airfares to Paris will be next summer or whether it would be cheaper to fly to London and then take the Eurostar, but normally, no, it wouldn't be, plus it would be a pain in the neck to fly to England in order to get to France, unless you planned to spend time in London first.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
France
France
Europe
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,527 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

This idea doesn't make much sense. Even *if* it is cheaper you will lose a lot of time getting to Paris on the Eurostar. I'd much prefer a non-stop flight to Paris and would be willing to pay more if I could get one.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

Generally speaking flights are cheaper to LHR than CDG from NYC airports but not cheap enough that your plan would make sense.

If you want to visit London & Paris than a multi-city fare into LHR & out of CDG is your best bet & when you include the one way Eurostar fare it ends up being about the same price as r/t to CDG.

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

We have done this twice and are about to do it again in December. The flights are about $200 cheaper right now That savings will not amount to much one you factor in the cost of the train tickets. We have 3 extra days this trip and would like to spend a little time in London. So for us it works out ok. I looked at taking a flight from London to Paris. I think the hassle of the airport and then traveling from CDG to Paris is not worth it. I like taking Eurostar and arriving in the center of Paris. If you have only a week or less then I recommend going directly to Paris.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Roissy-en-France, France
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

We've done this several times. However, they were all combinations trips with London being a 4-5 day stop. If you are planning on visiting London as ell as Paris, do as previously suggested and make it a multi-city trip catching the Eurostar to Paris. If however Paris is your only destination, fly in/out of CDG.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
564 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

I've looked at it several different ways over the years from Washington DC for cost-effective business trips and I always end up with the round-trip to Paris being my best bet. I still always look though (for business - I'll pay up for less hassle for personal trips) in case one of the carriers has some fantastic airfare special.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
396 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

I don't think the hassle to do this if you are not interested in seeing London is worth the possible (probably slight) cost savings.

I'd love to have the option for a non-stop flight to Paris but unfortunately there are none from Phoenix so maybe my opinion is skewed from being envious that you even have that!!!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

<< However, I'm wondering if it may be less expensive to fly NYC to London and then take the Eurostar into Paris. >>

The only way to know that is to prudently shop fares for both flights and Eurostar for Your Dates.

If you are convenient to JFK, have a look at Aer Lingus. Though there are non-stop flights with AA or Air France from Boston, Aer Lingus is my new favorite airline, even though there's (a totally convenient) connection in Dublin both ways. Ordinarily, I would prefer non-stop. But, I've been saving 2-400 per ticket with Aer Lingus and actually enjoy the "break" in Dublin, along with Terminal 1 at CDG (a dream compared to the others).

When you add up the air fare, airport transfers from Heathrow (which are costlier than Paris), Eurostar fare, you'll not save very much, and keep in mind that you'll have to drag yourselves from Heathrow to the train station.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Roissy-en-France, France
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

I would choose CDG over Heathrow anytime, even if it does sound fun to take the Eurostar. I wouldn't voluntarily fly into Heathrow unless I had no other options.

Mentioned in this post
Roissy-en-France, France
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better to fly direct to Paris or fly London then Eurostar?

I would not consider traveling from Heathrow to the station in London and a long train ride after an overnight flight the least bit "fun". Though, most would probably sleep the entire train ride.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK