We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

I am going to be arriving on a Thursday at 11:30am, staying in an apartment in the 6th near Le Procope, and departing the following Friday morning. So, I have 7 days to explore, eat, shop.

The following is a list of what I want to see/experience; I want to walk or take buses (I am very confident with the ratp.fr website for the bus routes)...no metros (want to experience above ground and have no timetable for being somewhere). Many of you have helped with food suggestions; now, this is the tougher logistical problem....what to see and when...and how.

PS: This is, obviously, the itinerary of a "first-timer"....so, please don't recommend any other options (unless it can absolutely be tied into my places...and should be). Thanks in advance.

The List:

Musee d'Orsay (on Friday)

Musee de l'Orangerie

Musee Rodin

Musee National d'art Moderne

Luxembourg Gardens

Pantheon

Tuileries Gardens

Eiffel Tower

Notre Dame

Saint Chapelle

Marais (on Sunday)

Rue Montorgueil

The Passages (Grand Cerf, Panoramas, Vivienne)

Bon Marche/Bd Raspail Market (on Tuesday)

Place Madeleine

Place Vendome

Galeries Lafayette

OK....I get it....I'm stuffing 2 weeks into 7 days; But if anyone is up for the challenge...I'd really appreciate any input from those who have done what I am planning.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
813 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

My suggestion is to identify 4 or 5 "absolutely must sees" then take the rest as it comes. So much of Paris is experienced while just strolling the neighborhoods or people watching from the terrace of a cafe. Assume you will return and don't wear yourself out trying to cram everything in. You'll be surprised at how much you'll see and do without trying too hard. You might get some ideas from the blog I wrote while in Paris for two weeks this past September. I, too, had a long wish list, but really didn't do nearly as much as I thought I would, but I still had a satisfying visit that I think about every day. Blog is at http://cjtparis2013@blogspot.com - have a wonderful trip! BTW, I didn't decide what I was going to do on any given day until that morning and was hindered somewhat by lousy weather.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 18:15
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
813 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

Sorry correct URL address for my blog is http://cjtparis2013.blogspot.com

Florida
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

I inserted a few ‘must sees’ if they fit on your walkabout (see inserts with >>>)

no … ? Louvre ? Seine cruise ? Versailles ?

THURSDAY / Arrival

-just unpack, do a walkabout your location, buy supplies, enjoy a café, buy any metro/bus tickets you want, >>>maybe make a run to the Paris Tourist Office for brochures, map, information on special exhibits, etc. (25 rue des Pyramides; bus 95 St Germain des Pres to Pyramides)

FRIDAY

-Musee d'Orsay (on Friday) >>>buy combo ticket for Orsay+Orangerie if you don’t have a pass

-Musee de l'Orangerie

-Tuileries Gardens

-Place Vendome

-Place Madeleine

SATURDAY

-Notre Dame

-Saint Chapelle

-Luxembourg Gardens

-Pantheon

SUNDAY

-Rue Montorgueil (better in the morning?)

-Musee National d'art Moderne (Centre Pompidou)

-Marais (on Sunday) >>> Place des Vosges

MONDAY

Open….?

TUESDAY

-Bd Raspail Market (on Tuesday)

-Bon Marche

-Musee Rodin

-Eiffel Tower

WEDNESDAY

>>> outside view of Palais Garnier (Opera)

-Galeries Lafayette >>>(rooftop terrace view)

-The Passages (Grand Cerf, Panoramas, Vivienne)

THURSDAY

>>> catch-up day (anything you missed or discovered), shopping, etc.

FRIDAY / Departure

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,756 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

travelnutty will send you her bill later :)

Great job travelnutty. I did want to add that I normally make a list of what I want to do and then decide the night before - or even in the morning what I want to do that day. Do keep in mind that you will more than likely get sidetracked and may not get to everything on your list. After 7 trips I've still not climbed the towers at Notre Dame or been to Catacombs, and many other things.

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

greeat job, travelnutty but heed the advice of HappyDaytripper. A great deal of the joy of Paris is just experiencing it. If you do it with a check list of things you have seen, you will not "experience" it, and may wonder what the charm of Paris is about.

Now, you know your tolerance for museums but my only quibble with travel nutty is that I would not do the Musee d'Orsay and L'orangerie in one day. First I would't normally do two museums in one day but secondly, both of these museums are a lot of impressionist works. If you want to avoid checklist touring, they will end up being a blur.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

First...Happy...beautiful blog, will keep it and explore it

"Nutty"...my sincere thanks...I will play with that schedule, tweak, and repost...looking for your input

wgr: Agree with that assessment....which is why I was concerned with the "combo" aspect. My thought was to do d'Orsay and Rodin with lunch at Café Constant or La Fontaine de Mars and "view" the Eiffel ( I was not interested in going up regardless) Then on a second day, do l'Orangerie, Tuileries, Place Madeleine and Place Vendome with lunch at Le Souffle.

As for the Louvre, not as interested....

As for the Seine cruise: on our last night (Thursday...also our anniversary)...going to Taverne Henri IV for wine, cheese and charcuterie...then walking to the Vedettes Pont Neuf for the cruise around sunset...casual, but romantic. :-)

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

Nutty......a question.....Lunch on rue Montorgueil or lunch at Place des Vosges?.....Do Village St Paul, then Place des Vosges, then rue Montorgueil?....or reverse? Also, no issues with rue Montorgueil on Sundays?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

NYC - depending on the day, Village St Paul might have a "brocante", which is a lot more interesting than seeing the few shops that are usually open there. These are held on several weekends during the year, and you will see banners posted on rue Saint Antoine, near Metro St Paul and thereabouts. In any event, VSP is a small area, and will probably take an hour to see. The actual street, rue St Paul, that runs towards the Seine, has some very interesting shops that are well worth exploring.

If you want to eat at a restaurant on Place des Vosges, there are really two "viable" options - as in, you will live to tell about it, afterwords - Carette and Ma Bourgogne. Each has it's merits and downfalls, so best to check reviews before planning. Neither accepts reservations, though. There are a couple of other cafes here, but I don't recommend them for anything other than drinks.

Rue Montorgeuil has its admirers, and is a good market street. I have seen some brunches here that look pretty good - just about anywhere on the street serves the same type of menu though, so you could just wander around and see what suits you. Market streets are not always the best for "destination dining", if that's what you're after, and I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. Not a bad idea for charcuterie and a glass of wine, though.

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters too much...

PS to Montorgeuil on Sundays - the vendors close around noon, period. This is a popular area for brunch, and if you want to go, plan on getting there by around 11 - the place is jam-packed, after that.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 20:06
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

Hi Patty....I thought that you might show up..lol.

My plan (always subject to change) was to have lunch at Café des Musees if I have lunch at Place des Vosges or lunch at either La Pointe Saint Eustache Paris or Aux Tonneaux des Halles (for Steak/Frites) if I have lunch at rue Montorgueil.

Based upon what you say about timing....lunch at rue Montorgueil then Place des Vosges might make more sense.

Nutty......My thought about Notre Dame/Saint Chapelle was to tie that into lunch at either Le Tournebievre or Le Reminet, then off to Shakespeare & Co and explore rue de la Huchette and head back Bd St Germain in the late afternoon. Which would make Luxembourg/Pantheon a problem to add on.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Challenge...Anyone want to help??

This has been provided above by other posters, but I had read recently on another thread that rue Montorgueil, a market street, may not have quite as much color later in the day because the food vendors will finish mid-day and pull in their stands... I also think there are more cafes along the street for lunch than you will find at Place des Vosges - pretty sure there are only a couple of more expensive restaurants there. Of course, you could pack in a 'bench lunch'....

Wouldn't Village St Paul be closed on a Sunday..?

The combo ticket for Orsay+Orangerie can be used in 4 days, I believe, so you wouldn't have to do them both the same day. I don't think a larger museum + a quite small one is too much for one day, but I don't study the art that long, more of a slow pass-through with a longer pause for things that look really interesting, so that's just me.

Also, an itinerary is a plan so that you have a better chance of seeing all the things you wanted to, but you aren't married to it, can be flexible as you go along. I'm in the camp of "a failure to plan is a plan to fail"... Laying out a day-by-day plan helps me 'feel' if I have a pleasant amount of time, or if I need to shift things around differently.

Re Luxembourg gardens and Pantheon... your itinerary does have two open days, doesn't it? ;-))