We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip in March with a few questions.

Dallas, Texas...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
First time trip in March with a few questions.

Me and my girfriend are doing a trip to Germany and Paris in March and will be staying in Paris for 4 days leaving on the 5th. I have a few questions and would love any advice:

I am thinking about staying in St Germain Des Pres, Latin Quartier or Marais and was looking for any information on which would be the best. We are both in our mid 20's and are looking for good food, good nightlife and just a great atmosphere. I am not huge into the club scene, but a good bar or pub or any place where people our age might hang out would be great.

Also I understand how the weather will be in mid March, but any other helpful advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

Eric

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip in March with a few questions.

Fun! I think Latin Quarter sounds like a great choice for you. I think it's a really fun part of Paris, and also very scenic - lots of good pubs, and bars to hang out. (Love the area around rue Mouffetard)

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip in March with a few questions.

The Latin Quarter would probably satisfy your wants, but so would the Bastille and Oberkampf areas, which are far more interesting, IMO.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time trip in March with a few questions.

I was thinking the same thing as StCirq. Great atmosphere and fewer tourists.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time trip in March with a few questions.

I've lived near Bastille (and I do love the area), here is some things to consider vs. Latin Quarter:

- If you want to chat with people, the French are reserved and you will have an easier time talking to British expats (alot of British pubs around LQ) than French people anywhere

- Bastille/OBerkampf are dead during the week. It's a really fun scene on Friday/Sat nights, but other days of the week Latin Quarter is more lively

- Latin Quarter is more "classic Paris" with cute streets, small restaurants, bakeries. Bastille/Oberkampf is a little more "gritty"

- There are tourists everywhere in Paris, including Bastille. And you, as a tourist, might appreciate additional tourist infrastructure in the LQ - like people who speak English.

Overall, I wouldn't focus too much on nightlife in Paris, since you're going to Germany too - save energy for the nightlife there, much better in my opinion :-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
551 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time trip in March with a few questions.

St Germain Des Pres & Latin Quartier are great fun areas. Lots of great places to eat, shop and nice locations to many of the sights. Paris is a very easy city to get around. I have stayed in both those areas and was very happy with both locations. Enjoy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time trip in March with a few questions.

I like the st germain and Latin qtr especially near the border between the 2. The weather in Paris is always unpredictable Be prepared for. some rain and bring layers. Check the forecast as late as possible before you pack. (And even then, the forecast is often wrong )

7. Re: First time trip in March with a few questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 05:17