We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

Bonjour!

Our time has arrived! Woohoo! Everything is in place. We are just waiting for Tuesday to appear and off we go! We are so excited!

I have two questions.

#1. Is there a ball on the 13th appropritate for a young family? Youngest is 8.

#2. I'm hoping to find a piece of local art in the 100-200E range. Is Montmarte the best area for this price range? Also, older sons would like to find inexpensive tee-shirts for a couple of their friends. Any suggestions on an inexpensive teenage shop?

Lastly, any last words of advice for first-timers to Paris/Normandy?

Merci

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

Hi!

>> Is there a ball on the 13th appropritate for a young family? Youngest is 8. <<

Erm, my English fails here... what's a 'ball' ?

>> Also, older sons would like to find inexpensive tee-shirts for a couple of their friends. Any suggestions on an inexpensive teenage shop? <<

Ah, -sons-. You can try the Clignancourt flea market (one of the top 4 places in France for the number of visitors - it's ahead of Mont Saint Michel!) but the area is not the nicest in Paris. You'll find "Paris University" T-Shirts everywhere at tourist places (quite stupid since there is NO such thing as 'Paris University')... or try les Halles shopping mall.

>> Lastly, any last words of advice for first-timers to Paris/Normandy? <<

Bienvenue!

louisville
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

for your affordable art- I would beware of montmartre- go to the Marche de la Creation in Montparnasse on Sunday- (rue de la Gaite- metro stop:Edgar Quinet )-it's a good art fair. Also, there's a big Marche de la Creation at Blvd Richard Lenoir near the Place Bastille- that one's on Saturday. Montmartre is really great for the view and the church and the atmosphere in spots, but the buying art scene is dodgy- there's probably good stuff to be found but most of the street artists are really there to sell multiple copies of the same view to multiple tourists like you and me- some are even working off templates. These are fun souvenirs, and I own some that my parents bought but it's a stretch to call it art.

louisville
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

should also tell you we took our boys to Paris and Normandy last year for a month- if you have any questions I will be happy to share what I know-

I'm going back this year with girlfriends! we'll be there Friday!

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

we were staying in the 20th on Bastille day a few years ago and there was a local street ball not far from where we lived -- we just joined in -- kids, old folks, dancing etc etc -- just a walk up street party anyone can join --people bought drinks from nearby bars -- I understand that there are these parties all over town near firehouses -- it was casual and fun

the airshow during the day is pretty cool -- complete with red white and blue smoke -- and the fireworks near the Eiffel Tower at night VERY late were spectacular -- we had given up since they did not go off at 10 when advertised but at midnight

when we were there there was a street market for art on a street that ran up from the Bastille -- it is the street with the canal underneath --- I don't know which days of the week it runs but there were several blocks of 'art' including some terrific photos in your price range (I still kick myself for not buying one that was framed for 100 Euro -- I worried about getting it back since it was about 20 by 30 inches framed -- but I should have bought it and shipped it -- I loved it) they also have paintings, computer manipulated art, weaving, pottery etc. maybe someone here knows how often this market runs -- while the art is craft show quality, you should be able to find lots of things in your price range and perhaps something you would love

there are all sorts of street artists selling stuff near the Seine and near museums -- most of it pretty bad/touristy -- but one man's trash etc. and of course there are the booths set up all along the Seine selling old magazines, posters, etc etc and occasionally there will be something there that catches the eye -- apartments all over Paris are decorated with stuff from these little stands -- old lithographs, lots of illustrations ripped from books etc

Malta
Level Contributor
458 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

We will join you next Wednesday!!

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

Bastile Day is on the 14th, not the 13th. However, my French friend's birthday is on the 13th, and I'm sure she'd be glad for you to celebrate it.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

Hi --

Re Normandy - Be prepared for your heart to break, and remember to thank those veterans you know, when you get back home.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

Take a few minutes to figure out metro map/system. Make sure you know line and stops. It is quite the system and easy to use, but can be a little confusing at first. Not sure what you are planning to do, but we got the muesum/montument pass ahead of time and kept us from waiting in lines and paying the fees each time. You cannot use it at Eiffel Tower-but everywhere else. When we were in line, at ET we ran into people who were very tired of waiting in lines everywhere. Not the case for us.

Get off at the Trocadero stop for Eiffel Tower-walk around the corner and there it is-spectacular! Do go all the way to the top-long line but worth it if a nice day. The Musee d'Orsay and Louvre are not to be missed-also St. Chappel and Notre Dame. There is so much to do-fun city. We just returned and loved it!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
304 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

My 15 year old son was able to buy several inexpensive tee-shirts for himself and his friends near the Paris Opera House right on the street from vendors just outside Printemps and Galeries Lafayette. One street vendor had a very good selection and gave a discount if you bought 4 shirts a 5th shirt was thrown in for free.

Have a great trip!

louisville
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days and counting!!! Last pieces of advice, please

You're right, Enfermera- the bals des pompiers are on the 13th, and the fireworks are the 14th. We skipped the balls last year so can't help you there with advice about atmosphere for kids, sorry.

The fireworks are amazing- it will be a late night for your youngest, though. Last year they started around 11, I think. but it was wonderful- the Eiffel Tower is so high that they actually shoot some fireworks DOWN.

The crowd in the park is enormous, but well-behaved. All the bakeries put tables of grab-to-go baguette sandwiches and tarts, etc out for those walking to the event from the surrounding areas. Not exactly the corn dogs and sno-cones we're used to at such times around here!