We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museums Exhibits

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Museums Exhibits

What's the best source in English to find out what's on at the museums and the galleries?

Will be there nov 7-11. Is it worth it to buy a Museum Pass? if so, which one?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museums Exhibits

I only know of one Museum Pass, and yes it's worth it under certain circumstances.

The only way I know to figure out all that's going on at the museums and galleries is to go to their webpages and explore them, BUT, I just know one of the experts here will pop in to remind us of two things:

1) Online Paris Events pages (please someone list them again!)

2) Newspaper you can buy that lists ongoing things in Paris (I have misplaced the name of it and I do so want to know the answer, too)

We bought a museum pass one time (at the Cluny) and that saved us lines at the D'Orsay (plus the admission). We didn't quite get back every penny in the three days we used it (Cluny, D'Orsay, L'Orangerie, Louvre) and we hilariously "used" it at City of Paris museums that were free - they smiled at us and told us to go in, it was only later we realized we hadn't saved any money, but we sure did feel impelled to do a lot of museums in those three days - never a regret.

Now, we just buy tickets at the Louvre machines (we've never waited more than 10-15 minutes, usually 0-2 minutes, but some people report lines at those machines), we always prepurchase for the D'Orsay online, and have never encountered lines at L'Orangerie, but others have. Just for line avoidance, if you're on a tight itinerary as most people are, it's well worth the price.

I only know of the one kind - you buy it at the first museum you enter, you tell them how many days you want it to run (up to 5? can't remember) and then the days are contiguous/sequential. Highly recommend checking out the museum pages of the museums I just mentioned plus:

Grand Palais

Petit Palais

Rodin Museum

Luxembourg Garden Museum

Pompidou

Carnavalet

Arts et Metiers

You will be spoiled for choices.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,796 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museums Exhibits

Here are a couple of useful links:

timeout.com/paris/…autumn-exhibitions-2013

…parisinfo.com/what-to-do-in-paris/Exhibitio…

The Paris Museum Pass is the pass for visiting museums and monuments, and it can be good value if you intend to view a few of the included sites each day. Here is a link to the official website, but don't bother pre-purchasing, it's readily available in Paris.

http://en.parismuseumpass.com

Edited: 31 October 2013, 20:07
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museums Exhibits

LeBiscuit, is it Pariscope?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museums Exhibits

Yes, RigbyJack! That will be helpful to all of us. Writing it down AGAIN.

And Inna, thanks for those links! Timeout is the other one I was thinking of. Need to bookmark it on the phone, obviously.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museums Exhibits

Besides Pariscope (which, btw, has been very recently sold by it's owner, Largardère group), there's also L'Officiel des Spectacles, the oldest magazine of this kind; appears every Wednesday and costs 0.50 €. In French only. There's also an online version: http://www.offi.fr/

Edited: 31 October 2013, 20:59
Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museums Exhibits

The Wednesday edition of Le Figaro is available with or without FigaroScope Magazine (a few centimes more).

This is an interesting little read, with restaurant reviews, "celebrity neighborhood hang-outs", and listings for the week of most dance, music, spectacles, plays and movies. En francais, but you can figure out a good bit of it, if you don't speak French.

7. Re: Museums Exhibits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 03:17