We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which streets to stay for first time

Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Topic
which streets to stay for first time

Hi all,

Im having difficulties in deciding where to stay.

I have narrowed down to 1 arr, 5 arr, 9 arr and trocadero..but which street? there are so many "rue" to choose from. been confused since there are some saying stay in the 9 but stay away from pigalle, stay in the 1st but stay away from les halles.

Thanks a alot.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which streets to stay for first time

It does not matter what street you are in. Indeed, even the area does not matter much.

The areas you are thinking of are all safe, all have many restaurants, and all have easy access to public transport. Just find a hotel that looks nice to you.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which streets to stay for first time

As Sydneynick suggests, you are way over-thinking this. With all the areas in Paris and the many, many streets, you can't worry about finding The Best Street.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which streets to stay for first time

Stay in 5th, no matter the street.

Trocadero is close to Eiffel Tower, but away from other sites.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which streets to stay for first time

Oh, I have to disagree with Tesa227 about the 5th. I would stay away from rue de la Harpe and rue St Severin area. Way too crowded and way too touristy for my taste. I've stayed on rue St Severin and disliked it. I've been to Paris about a dozen times and it was my least favorite location. Couldn't wait to leave every day.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which streets to stay for first time

The 1st or the 9th would be excellent.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which streets to stay for first time

I would stay in the. 5 the from your list. There are a few ove touristef streets but generally a great area. What hotels are u looking at?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which streets to stay for first time

You're making this much harder than it needs to be. If I remember correctly you are looking for a low budget hotel or apartment for 3? You need to focus on determining what's available in your price range, and meets your needs and then choose the place that is also in the best location.

California
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which streets to stay for first time

Well, I will have to disagree with elizzie about the 5th. It always surprises me when the whole arrondisement is put down because of a few controversial streets. I personally would avoid staying on the streets she mentions, too (although some people love staying there because it's so lively and close to many things). But there are a wealth of quiet, charming areas in the 5th that shouldn't be overlooked, such as around the Pantheon, Place Monge, Censier Daubenton, north of Gobelins, south of Maubert Mutualite, east of the Cluny, etc. There are nice restaurants and cafes, good street markets and market streets, small parks and grand gardens, nightlife, etc.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which streets to stay for first time

Forget Trocadero, which is not interesting and is not as convenient to walking around.

Forget the area right around Pigalle, which some consider "seedy".

The 1st is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Paris.

See, it's already looking easier!

Charlottetown, PEI...
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which streets to stay for first time

We enjoy the 5th for the exact reasons AnnetteCinCa mentions and would recommend that area. We love walking and find staying around the Sorbonne a perfect location for that. It is not overly busy around the Sorbonne/Rue des Ecoles especially in the evenings when it is extremely quite. A couple of noisy streets such as Rue de la Harpe and Rue St. Severin doesn't make the whole 5th loud and noisy.