We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apartment vs hotel in Paris...

United States
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
apartment vs hotel in Paris...

We recently combined 3 nights apartment with 4 night hotel...two different areas in Paris and both experiences were really good. I would however not necessarily recommend apartment rental for stays less than 5 nights...preferably rent for one week. Apartment check in and out is very different and they need more time to clean etc. For me there is too much paperwork, arrival and departure protocol for a short stay. Of course if you have need for multiple rooms or beds it could be good solution. I found that most companies were flexible for short stays closer to arrival if they have some "holes" in their calendar but I would assume better price would be for the 7 night stay. Paris has so many wonderful small hotels and apartments the search can be very confusing. We ended up renting from Haven in Paris and recommend them. Our hotel was Montalembert which I will be reviewing and has a wonderful location and very good service. We enjoyed both.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel Montalembert
Hotel Montalembert
828 Reviews
Paris, France
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
661 Reviews
from US$48.80*
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
601 Reviews
from US$74.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator Exclusive: Eiffel Tower Visit...
156 Reviews
from US$55.90*
San Diego...
Level Contributor
902 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apartment vs hotel in Paris...

Thanks. I really like the apartment route better. Don't mind the paperwork and since when I travel to Paris, there is usually 4 or more of us - an apartment is the best option. However, it is personal preference and everyone is different.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: apartment vs hotel in Paris...

I also love apartments, but rarely stay for less than a week. My main reasons for preferring apartments:

Having a washing machine so I can pack light without having to wash clothes by hand

Being able to leave my stuff around and know nobody will come in while I'm out

Being able to sleep in late if I want to

Being able to have a quick meal very early evening so I can spend the evening at a museum

For a short stay, laundry is not necessary, tidying before going out can be done, there is no time to waste sleeping in late, and if I want something quick, I can grab a sandwich.

Buying household stuff can be disproprtionately expensive for a very short stay - even things like tea-bags come in larger quantities than you'd want for just 3 or 4 days, so for shorter stays, a hotel makes more sense unless you have small children or some other specific reason why a hotel would not suit you.

United States
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apartment vs hotel in Paris...

Sussexgirl...you did hit on some real selling points for apartments. We had some very strong instructions on being very very quiet...ie no shoes on in apartment...no loud talking in the halls etc etc...but our neighbors who probably owned their apartment or were permanent renters had an all night party and we really could do nothing about it. At that point I would have liked to be able to call down to the reception and complain and with the level of noise they would have no doubt followed up. We just had to ride it out and really did not get much if any sleep that night. I know sometimes in hotels you can hear slamming doors and voices but at least most are paying money to stay in a hotel and visit a city and want to get some sleep to be able to sightsee the next day...this was the Marais and it is sort of party oriented with lots of young people. We still enjoyed our time there. Actually I was thinking how much if I lived in one of these apartments which were right by Place des Vosges in a historical building where I'm sure they are expensive to buy or rent...I would HATE having short term renters coming and out...knowing all the building codes etc. Our advance literature even warned that some residents do not like this concept and to be very polite to all residents..

Mentioned in this post
Place des Vosges
Place des Vosges
5,279 Reviews
Paris, France
Minnesota
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: apartment vs hotel in Paris...

I am planning a family vacation (with wife and kids 21, 18 and 14) to Paris and Italy. Anticipate five nights in Paris. Would appreciate recommendations on good areas and establishments to lodge. Central Paris best vs. further out and close to Metro? My son and I will probably take one or two days to go to Normandy. The girls want to shop. Anticipate everyone will do the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Versailles. We have tended to stay in apartments in the past simply because of having five in our party. Thank!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Italy
Italy
Europe
France Louvre
France Louvre
303 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
121,864 Reviews
Paris, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
5. Re: apartment vs hotel in Paris...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 18:35
Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: apartment vs hotel in Paris...

RickJMinnesota, I suggest that you start a totally new thread for your question, including a budget for accommodation per night in euros, you'll probably get more help/answers that way.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: apartment vs hotel in Paris...

agree, rick you should start a new thread with your requirements and budget.

gene - thanks for your observations!

I'm a hotel person. I've done both. I wouldn't consider an apt again unless I were going to be there for an extended period. I'm usually there for a week so doing laundry isn't an issue for me. I do hand wash in the sink and hang to dry overnight. I have no desire to cook on vacation so a kitchen isn't necessary. But I've been lucky to have some rooms with a mini fridge. Since I usually only buy cheese, crackers, olives, cold cuts, fruit - even with no fridge I'm good.

I like having desk staff and as gene pointed out someone to go to if there's a problem like noisy guests, etc. I also usually travel alone and I like having a place to sit where there are other people. I like talking to the staff and getting advice on where they eat, like to go, etc. I've stayed in some hotels where they serve wine in the lobby or breakfast room and I like that. I've had many make reservations for me or call a taxi for me.

I don't like paying a deposit or cleaning deposit. Or reading the 'fine print' of the rental agreement. An apartment I rented was to have free wifi, cable tv. Neither worked. I haven't had that problem in a hotel although I'm sure it does happen. I like booking a hotel and if I change my mind I can cancel and book a different one up to a couple of days before my arrival.

I understand all the reasons why people like booking apartments. I've enjoyed reading many trip reports from people who have. Many from families and from lone travelers like myself and am glad that they all enjoyed their choices.

United States
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: apartment vs hotel in Paris...

we never touched the kitchen except the fridge and some utensils. no cooking on vacation for me! They had an easy clean after us.

9. Re: apartment vs hotel in Paris...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 14:06
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: apartment vs hotel in Paris...

I remember a few years back looking into the Citadines and at that time there were something like 3 or 4 in the city. The location that I wanted was over my budget. I'm pretty sure it was the Bastille Marais. Wow! I see that they now have a lot more locations! It's something I would consider - and aparthotel.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Paris Bastille
Hotel Paris Bastille
481 Reviews
Paris, France